A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Latest paper from Buchwald team: Reported Pain and Fatigue Behaviors Mediate the Relationship etc.

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Not a recommendation)

Simon, Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Heads I win, tails you lose?

Would have to read the full paper, but it doesn't sound as if their results necessarily supported a cognitive-behavioural model for CFS either.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Where's the Barf Smilie when I need it...

Izola and Kati like this.
  4. Kati

Kati Patient in training

We could put the pesudo-profound bullshit paper side by side with this one and see that the bullshit paper makes much more sense than this psycho-babble.

Let's send this to Coyne so he sees what we are dealing with.

barbc56, Valentijn, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Annie Gsampel

Scotland
    Allow me.

:vomit:

mango, barbc56, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Who would want to participate in these sorts of studies, unless they are patients that 'believe' in the psychological model?

So we have a biased sample, and associations between a few different questionnaires, with no objective evidence of such behaviour. Sometimes what you think you are measuring might not be what you are actually measuring...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

And probably more often than that.

jimells, Valentijn, barbc56 and 2 others like this.
  8. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Is it still valid and reliable after modifying it? When I used to write software for a living, if I added an additional option for a user to select, I would have to, you know, test it.

Cheshire and Valentijn like this.
  9. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Dedra Buchwald is the Simon Wessley of the US.

If I had the energy I'd start a website where people could tell their horror stories regarding their (usually brief) experiences involving the Harborview CFS Clinic that she's headed for over 20 years here in Washington State.

In the 17 years I've been sick, and the 8 years I attended local CFS support group meetings, I've never heard of even ONE good experience coming from that place. Patients wait six months to get in, have to fill out probably 50 pages of questionnaire forms (no doubt for Buchwald's $$$Studies), then once they finally get in, basically no treatment is offered except 'go home and rest'.

It's quite telling as well, that when Dr. David Bell came to speak here last June, that Buchwald refused the invitation to attend.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    jimells, halcyon, Izola and 6 others like this.
  10. ballard

ballard Senior Member

I agree with Dan. As far as I can tell, the clinic mainly collects data for Buchwald's psychologically oriented research. There is no appropriate treatment for ME/CFS at the Harbourview Clinic. I'm not even sure that Dr. Buchwald shows up at the clinic anymore. The last time I went (and it's definitely the last time), I was seen by a perfunctory physician's assistant.

I really don't understand why the U. of W. continues to associate itself with the Harbourview Clinic. Maybe it's because the U.of W. Medical School has recently relegated ME/CFS to the "Mind, Brain and Behavior" block of education for incoming medical students.

It's a shame, really.

11. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Hi there @ballard :)

Actually, I think it's the other way around, which is even worse; I have a feeling the U.W. Medical School relegated ME/CFS to the 'Mind, Brain and Behavior' department precisely because of the influence of 20-25 years of Buchwald's self-serving "work".

And the fact that she hasn't seen patients in years is IMO a testament to her cowardice. Sorry, that just slipped out.

jimells, Valentijn, Sean and 5 others like this.
  12. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Buchwald is part of the MAPP collaborative for pelvic pain. She has been working hard for diseases such as pelvic chronic pain and interstitial cystitis remain in the psychological domain.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Valentijn and Sean like this.
  13. SOC

SOC

It's really hard not to wish these illnesses on people like Buchwald and SW. I can't really, because no one deserves ME or any chronic pain condition, but if anyone did deserve this kind of suffering, psychogenic theory pushers would be on the list.

Izola, jimells and Valentijn like this.
  14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Perfectly legitimate to wish it on them for as long as it takes for them to understand how wrong they are.

I have been wishing it for years, and the gods have not struck me down yet. :p

Mind you, they haven't granted my wish yet either. Maybe I haven't sacrificed enough chickens. :rolleyes:

:whistle:

SOC, jimells and Valentijn like this.
  15. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Have you arranged the entrails into a pentagram? There may yet be hope. Or at very least an alternative treatment from an AfME affiliate...

SOC, Sean and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.