1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Latest Estimates for Number of People with CFS?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Skyline, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Skyline

Skyline Senior Member

Bangkok, Thailand
    I've been hunting around for estimates of the population affected by CFS/ with it. Not coming up with much so far, are there any surveys or studies you can point me towards?

Thanks.

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Depends on the criteria used, and how the data is collected.

0.2-2.5% of the population seems commonly cited.

3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    About a million US and 17 million worldwide. The best studies are those done by Leonard Jason. The ones done by the CDC are flawed.

Nielk likes this.
  4. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I use 0.2-0.4% in the UK. But nothing has properly been done that really examines prevalence let alone incidence. There are attempts being made to do just that - the ME Disease Register project in the UK for example - but it's early days and who knows how it will all pan out if something like a Biomarker is found it could change the landscape completely :)

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    7 billion people. At a prevalence of 0.2%, that comes out at 14,000,000 globally. For 0.4% its 28,000,000. This of course presumes that prevalence is uniform and not variable due to local factors, from nutrition to medical care or cultural factors. So pick your prevalence rate and do the math.

What is perhaps misleading here is this. Many sources are worried CFS is on the increase, though they usually do not cite ME prevalence. This includes insurance companies, which comment on this from time to time. So the old prevalence rates may be meaningless today, prevalence could be much higher. Or the increase might have plateaued. We just don't know. Prevalence might even have gone down, but I seriously doubt it. The point is we don't have current data, or even very reliable data.

As Firestormm says a biomarker or good diagnostic test is really needed before we can get reliable incidence or prevalence.

Due to the long term nature of ME its also possible that incidence is stable, but this means a steadily rising prevalence. I wish I knew the answer to this.

6. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
  7. Guido den Broeder

Guido den Broeder *****

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    CFS estimates are not informative because of the many different definitions.

ME estimates are slightly below 0.1% of the population in the western world. AFAIK there are no indications that the percentage increases. It is likely to be significantly less in areas where due to poorer hygiene herpes viruses strike at a younger age, when the immune system is more flexible.

8. Skyline

Skyline Senior Member

Bangkok, Thailand
    Wow, I'm stupefied *in a good way*. Thanks for all this information, I wasn't coming up with much at all. Great references.

WillowJ likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.