1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Latent EBV infection in B cells and autoimmune disease

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Jan 22, 2014.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    don't remember there being a thread on this, apologies if a repeat ... if correct, might account for many of the mysterious findings in ME

full article
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/Rheumatology/GeneralRheumatology/43797
    NK17, merylg, beaverfury and 4 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

When I became ill, I no longer had the seasonal infections that people usually get every now and then, or when I did get them, the symptoms were barely more than a midly sore throat. I wonder if EBV's strategy would look just like that in practice?
    merylg and Christopher like this.
  3. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

That web page also has a link to a free pdf of a review article by Michael Pender which is worth reading. The one disagreement I have is with the idea that the CD8+ deficiency must be inherited. I think there is now considerable evidence the deficiency is so specific it must be caused by a particular pathogen. There is also more than one highly-specific deficiency, which points in the same direction -- a pathogen is protecting itself.
    merylg likes this.
  4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Decades ago I said the pathogen manipulates the immune system for its own profit .
    merylg likes this.
  5. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Deficiency as in low levels, or a more general dysregulation - as in present in sufficient, or even excessive numbers, but not doing their job?

What are the findings on CD8+ in ME and are they consistent? Have there been attempts to correlate their levels or similar to severity of any of the symptoms? Asking 'cos of this paper that recently came out, where the CD8+ levels were shown directly correlated to the degree of neurological impairment and executive dysfunction in autism (also confirmed via frontal cortex EEG abnormalities). The working hypothesis there is that increased CD8+ levels are not merely a correlation but actually enter the brain and cause neurological impairments ...
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1750946713000366

If this is really the case, something is pushing those levels up ...
    merylg likes this.
  6. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Generally, Pender is talking about deficiency as in low numbers. And, no, CD8+ T cell numbers are not consistently low in ME. The new research on very specific subsets of T cells might explain why, earlier research didn't make fine enough distinctions. We also have to deal with the problem of feedback in the immune system, which can result in numbers being pushed up in response to a problem which consumes immune cells.

I've been watching for reports of CD8+ T cells entering the brain in ME ever since I read about finding some in the dorsal root ganglia at autopsy, or nodules of Nageotte, which indicate earlier damage by invasive T-cells. (These also occur in familial dysautonomia and Sjögren's syndrome.) This would go along with increased numbers rather than deficiencies.
    merylg likes this.
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    The griffith uni research says our cd8 function is low but didnt mention our numbers. Generally ebv causing increase in cd8 numbers as does cmv and possibly hhv6. My cd8 has been high since ive had cfs.
    SOC and merylg like this.
  8. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    We need better tools!
    merylg likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.