The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lariam (mefloquine) - neuropsychiatric side-effects - and ME/CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by charles shepherd, Aug 31, 2016.

1. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

Lariam (mefloquine) - neuropsychiatric side-effects - and ME/CFS

People with ME/CFS obviously need to take an appropriate form of anti-malarial medication, as well as other precautions, if they are travelling to an area where malaria is present

Lariam is one such drug

However, there are continuing concerns about the (sometimes quite serious) neuropsychiatric side-effects that can occur with this drug

And I have also heard from people with ME/CFS who predate the onset of their illness to the use of this drug

So this is one antimalarial drug that may be better avoided by people with ME/CFS if there is a suitable alternative available - which there normally is

BBC news report on Lariam which involves the son of Lord Dannett - former head of the British army:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37183873

More information on Lariam:

http://www.rxlist.com/lariam-drug/patient-images-side-effects.htm

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

JohnCB, Snowdrop, belize44 and 4 others like this.
  2. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Gingergrrl likes this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    What drug is then suitable to take as an anti malarial drug and will be safe?

4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I took a course of it about 1992. I had a really bad reaction to it but since I was in India where so many other things can make you ill, it took a while before I realized that it was mefloquine causing the illness.

5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Larium is probably the worst of the entire class of FQ antibiotics/meds and there is a documentary about it causing psychosis and violent aggressive behavior, both in soldiers and in civilians, who had no prior psychiatric history. It can cause physical damage as well. Am glad that this is starting to be recognized and thank you @charles shepherd for posting it.

Mary and JohnCB like this.

See more popular forum discussions.