The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Largest Autism Genome Study Finds Most Siblings Have Different Autism-Risk Genes

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Wally, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Wally

Wally Senior Member

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150126124604.htm
    Click here to read more of this news release - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150126124604.htm

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

... So autism "risk" genes aren't actually associated with autism?

This is one reason I hate large-scale genetic research. They get a tiny effect from a bunch of SNPs, and it essentially means absolutely nothing useful.

natasa778 and Sidereal like this.
  3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

All this money wasted on useless genetic studies.

natasa778 likes this.
  4. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

And still they get gazzillions more $$$ for an even larger-scale waste of money. And when they get zero results from 9000 more genomes they'll once again conclude that "underpinnings are EVEN more complex blah blah". And ask for even more money ... An image of a dog and its tail comes to mind.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

Reminds me of that genetic uber-study where they tested 50,000 people to finally pin down "genetic underpinnings of depression". Got f**k all, and concluded that they needed an ever bigger sample o_O

Would be funny if it wasn't tragic wrt to money and time wasted ...

cigana, Valentijn and Sidereal like this.
  6. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    Maybe I misunderstood something, the way I read it was that the autism-linked genes are still risk genes, but they are just not necessarily shared by siblings...?

7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

My impression is that they're spinning the null results they found in a new study which attempted to replicate an earlier study.

natasa778 likes this.
  8. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

I cannot get full version for this one but it seems MUCH more useful and rooted in real life

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25629966

Throw some HERV reactivation (CNVs how?) into this picture and we are on the right track imo

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    A negative result is not 'useless'. For it allows attention to shift towards other investigations.

Well, unless we do the study and still pretend that the effect exists, when we have evidence to the contrary... *cough*

Valentijn likes this.
  10. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Exactly :rolleyes: Null results are not a problem, but the spin and hype they're creating is a HUGE problem.

11. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

A negative result can be highly useful but in this instance it will just be used as "evidence" that even more money should be spent on genetic studies instead of more fruitful avenues.

See more popular forum discussions.