May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Large & Small Artery Endothelial Dysfunction in CFS Newton et al - heart risk

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Glynis Steele, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    fla likes this.
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Interesting find - thanks Glynis. It is good to see certain symptoms explained - "can't find any veins" said the nurse trying draw blood at one stage and heart taking off at high speed episodes on other occasions.

3. voner

voner Senior Member

would somebody like to explain what these results say is going on in the veins and arteries of ME/CFS patients? Anybody know what sheer stress is?

thanks and events.

4. Holmsey

Holmsey Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    Just a bit of additional info from Dr. Newton regarding the cohort.

Since our original manuscript had to be cut down to fit into a research letter, we had to miss out some of the information about the participants. Here's our original paragraph, which hopefully answers your questions.

The study included 39 patients (mean standard deviation age 5211 years, 18 men) who fulfilled Centers for Disease Control and Prevention criteria for CFS, and who had been assessed by us previously for disease onset, symptom severity and duration of illness. Their mean blood pressure was 12921/8014 mmHg. A control group was also recruited, consisting of 36 healthy volunteers matched for age and gender (mean age
    5011 years, 17 men). Their mean blood pressure was 12516/7610 mmHg.

This work was actually funded by the charity ME Research UK not the CSO. Since completing the project, I am no longer involved directly in clinical research so I don't know exactly what the situation is, but the group is certainly continuing to research this area.

See more popular forum discussions.