1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lapp Reports XMRV is Found in CFS Using Genome Detection Technology/Ampligen News

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Cort, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Dr. Lapp reports from the Hemispherx Biopharma meeting

This was quite a stunning report. It starts off by saying that he suspects "that information relayed this past week to us will change the field of medicine forever"..You don't hear that very often!

He reports that the MLV's Lo found are similar enough to the XMRV the WPI found to warrant their being included in the same group - that is definitely a matter of contention.

He also reports that XMRV kills cells - which I don't think we've heard yet- but maybe he has some inside information (or I have missed something). (Actually the technology reported below requires that the cells have died..)

The interesting part comes from a report from Dr. Urnovitz of Chronix Biomedical Labs. Chronix has developed an incredibly quick and inexpensive way of mapping the entire genome which he reported will be available soon. When cells die they spill their guts into the bloodstream...its these sequences that Dr. Urnovits technology is looking for. When they looked in the blood of some CFS patients hey were able to pick out 'chimeras' made up of XMRV genes (but oddly missing their LTR regions).

This is really new technology....and it remains to be seen how it will be accepted. Dr. Urnovitz has run several labs over the past 30 years. He's published 3 papers over that time that I could find...

http://www.drlapp.net/meLetterMar2011.htm

2. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Chronix Biomedical

On March 3rd Hemispherx and Chronix teamed together to file a joint patent for a blood test to diagnose CFS.

http://chronixbiomedical.com/

It's an interesting approach - as Urnovitz says they are looking dying and damaged cells - which would seem to be a good thing to focus in disease :). They do seem to have short track record doing this with a few other disorders (cancer). I'm surprised, though, that he hasn't published any papers using their technology. It is very new technology, though. Maybe there hasn't been time.

3. serg1942

serg1942 Senior Member

Spain
    Wow! Thanks Cort!!! Fantastic and hope it turns out to be truth!

4. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Check out Dr. Lapps over view of Ampligen and particularly his quite emotional statement at the end. He's clearly tired of the delays approving Ampligen.

Its encouraging that Ampligen was deemed 'approvable' but more study was needed.

Check out all the things it can do to the immune system as well!

Lapp reports that 1/3rd of patients receive very significant global improvement - which is fantastic....the next step is figuring out who gets better from it.

5. XAND

XAND

madrid
    I have to delete this because is unpublished material, sorry... also not sure of its reliability...

6. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Seems we have heard about a number of diagnostic tests or biomarkers recently.

From IrsiCaixa, the University of Utah, the Judy Mikovits abstract for her presentation at the NYAS, the CSF study and this one. One of those must hopefully pan out...

7. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

There already was a study where they found that XMRV+ subjects improve more than XMRV- subjects.

8. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

The link does not work, XAND.

9. XAND

XAND

madrid
    Sorry, I decided to delete that, because I assume they deleted the link because is unpublished material, and I did not want to run the risk of ruin the publication of a good news research to be published...

10. Bob

Bob

South of England
    So, if i've understood this correctly, the new technology has been able to detect both human DNA, and the XMRV DNA, in the blood.
    And they detected XMRV 'chimeras', which means that the XMRV DNA was attached to human DNA, thus suggesting that it had integrated into the human chromosome.

Does anyone think that I've understood that right?

Here's the relevant section from the Hunter-Hopkins letter:

11. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    This sounds like a quack. Six hours and $100... where is the data to support this almost unbelievable claim?

12. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, all.

It's a fact that apoptosis is increased in ME/CFS. There are published papers on this. It's also a fact that the level of cell-free DNA is higher in PWMEs/PWCs than in normal, healthy people, but not as high as in cancer patients. Dr. John McLaren Howard of Acumen Lab in the UK offers a test for cell-free DNA. He has noted that when apoptosis occurs normally, it is a programmed cell death, and the components of the cell are disassembled in an orderly way, so that the amount of cell-free DNA that arises is small. This is not the case in ME/CFS, and especially not in cancer.

I think it's very plausible that retroviruses could be reponsible for early cell death in ME/CFS, and if so, I think it's very plausible that their complementary DNA would show up in DNA fragments in the blood. I think this is very interesting work.

Best regards,

Rich

13. insearchof

insearchof Senior Member

Bob

That was my understanding and reading of what was posted as well. Quite exciting news!

This is big news isn't it? Contaminants do not integrate into human DNA.

If this proves to be reliable, then this should put XMRV back up as a research agenda priority.....and maybe, the entire community can seize that moment to come together to demand government fund research into this area without further delays!

Ampligen seems to address many irregularities seen in PWC.

Thank you for posting this Cort.

14. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    Hi Rich,

very interesting what you say about apoptosis. I always thought that, when cells die, they shrink. It looks like that this virus contributes to early, and abnormal apoptosis.

Most likely, this happens with a similar mechanism as with HIV. With HIV, many CD4 cells die, without even being infected. So, retroviri are able to kill cells indirectly. I must say, I forgot which virus-protein was responsible for that.

Now, since I became ill I noticed that my nails changed, more particularly my lunulas(the half moon on your fingernails). The appeared and disappeared continuously and I always atrributed that to cell apoptosis, but since a month now, they don't disappear anymore. I guess, Gc-Maf is doing it's work and cell apoptosis is not happening anymore to full scale. Of course, that's just an assumption...

Thanks for the interesting information Cort and Rich!

OS.

15. insearchof

insearchof Senior Member

Hi Overstressed

What do you put the disappearance of the lunulas down to?

16. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    Hi insearchof,

I always suspected cell apoptosis, because if you look at another illness, sickle cell anemia, people's lunula disappear too. Since a month my lunulas are stable, stable in size and shape.

Take care,
    OS.

17. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Cort, This is just brilliant news - one feels all the hard work and research is coming together at last from the dedicated few. WOW !.

18. beaker

beaker CFS/ME 1986

USA

http://www.cfs-news.org/kitei.htm

it's wise to remember who you are dealing with.

19. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    Rich, many thanks for posting this.
    I have to say that I disagree that our cell-free DNA is lower than for cancer patients, at least for some of us. I had my cell-free DNA measured by Dr Howard and it came back at 35.0. My understanding is that cancer patients frequently have a cell-free dna of 30-40 (correct me if this is wrong).

I feel every bit as sick as a cancer patient.

20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Anyone know how credible this stuff is? I'm always suspicious of astounding scientific breakthroughs being promoted first to CFS patients. "In the near future" leaves quite a lot of wiggle room, and the technology in this area is shooting ahead... but still.

Hemispherx have made some bold claims previously, so I'm a bit suspicious of them... but maybe that's just how drug companies work. I don't know to what extent their trouble with the FDA is their fault or not... plenty of patients seem to have critical of them though.

It would be great to get some of this stuff published.

See more popular forum discussions.