Jen Brea launches mass-advocacy platform — #MEAction goes live!
Jen Brea is a phenomenon. After working as a freelance writer in China and Africa, she enrolled for a PhD at Harvard in political science but, four years ago, got sick. She had a fever that lasted ten days.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lancet Obituary: William Reeves

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Merry, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Alison Snyder reports in the latest issue of Lancet on the death, on 3 August 2012, of William Reeves, one-time head of US CDC chronic fatigue syndrome program.

Peter White remembers Reeves: "In the field of CFS, Bill led from the front in delineating and thus legitimising the illness, while being unafraid to examine and integrate biological, psychological, and social factors. He understood that mind and body are indivisible and that understanding both was necessary for this illness, as in all human suffering.”

The article notes that Reeves' research into the "role of personality, behavioural issues, and early life stress. . . seemed to anger many in the patient in the patient community."

Peter White sums up by describing William Reeves as "a man more sinn'd against than sinning."

Read more here:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)62019-4/fulltext

Enid likes this.
  2. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    These guys get everything 180 degrees off. White is black, and black is white. Sinning is blessing, and blessing is sinning. They are the victims instead of the victimizers.

The Lancet is now officially on my do not read list.

Dang militant journalists, and extremist psychiatrists waging Jihad on unsuspecting media consumers again?

We really need to develope a test to predict this sort of malevolent behavior, and send a petition to goverment officials to test any and all future public officials for these extremist tendancies first.

Wayne, *GG*, MishMash and 1 other person like this.
  3. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Put that Peter White on my list of dislikes.

"He understood that mind and body are indivisible and that understanding both was necessary for this illness, as in all human suffering.”

Whaaat, whoever said they were indivisable and of course understanding both is necessary, but in all human suffering such as cancer, chronic heart disease etc, the physical illness is treated first then any problems with the mind. Can I say 'pillock'?
    Its just the way I'm feeling today

Wayne, Desdinova, Merry and 1 other person like this.
  4. MishMash

MishMash

Georgia
    I think obituaries are more of a courtesy than an actual recounting of life's events. It's hard to spit on someone's grave, even if they weren't the most agreeable person. Honor the dead, one day we shall be among them.

barbc56 likes this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    True. But it would be nice if those obituaries could also be written without spitting on the living.

Sean, PhoenixDown, Wayne and 5 others like this.
  6. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    MishMash - its Peter White I'm disgusted with, he never fails, when he has a chance. to get his point about ME being a psych illness, William Reeves is another story but not in the context of an obituary.

I also don't agree with a blanket statement 'honour the dead' some deserve it, others?, not so sure, that opens a whole new debate.

Wayne and Merry like this.
  7. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    I took a look at the people who had been honored with obituaries in The Lancet in the last few months. Most were British medical doctors. I wonder what the story is behind how William Reeves was chosen. The writer of the obituary, Alison Snyder, is a US freelance science journalist, who writes for major publications. She has written obituaries for The Lancet about other Americans medical doctors and scientists in the past. A quick look online didn't turn up any evidence that she previously had written about chronic fatigue syndrome.

MishMash likes this.
  8. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    In response to my inquiry, Alison Snyder said that she was asked to write the obituary by her editor at The Lancet.

Purple likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.