• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lancet: Mouse viruses and human disease

I couldn't find this in any threads but sorry if it has been posted before:--

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(11)70082-2/fulltext

The first paragraph:
Simard and colleagues1 reported the most current and largest comprehensive assessment of cancer incidence in people with HIV on antiretroviral therapy. Whereas the incidence of AIDS-defining cancers, Hodgkin's lymphoma, and many other non-AIDS-defining cancers was increased, a striking finding of this report was the nearly 50% reduction in the incidence of breast and prostate cancer. This paradoxical reduction in breast-cancer risk has been reported in the context of immune suppression

Esther12

Thanks for that. I've seen those stats mentioned before, but it's nice to have it properly referenced.

To me, the strongest evidence against XMRV and CFS is also evidence against XMRV and PC. If the association with PC were to hold up, I'd feel much more positive about the association with CFS.

Jemal

That's certainly a nice find. It suggests there's something there, something like XMRV perhaps.

currer

This was mentioned at the CROI conference I remember, in connection with prostate cancer.