1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

lANCET: Management of autism in France: “a huge job to be done” [psychoanalysis]

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Esther12, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Currently open access, but not sure how long this will be the case: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(14)70290-1/fulltext

Hope the quacks are held accountable, but pretty sure they won't be.
    taniaaust1, shahida, Sidereal and 5 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

This is a documentary about French psychoanalysts who think they can treat autism (English subtitles are available):

They're totally nuts as you will see.

This documentary was banned in France until six months ago by the way. The psychoanalysts didn't want anyone to see it, and convinced a judge to ban it with a flimsy excuse.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  3. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

didn't know that french psychology plays the Blame Game as well.

Well who doesn't? it's just that they like using different names for it. Some call it "Analysis" and others call it "CBT".

when will we see a documentary where they show CBT therapists thinking they can treat ME?
  4. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France
    Yes, I sometimes feel very ashamed of being French... These psychoanalysts are really insane, specially the Lacan followers. (Jacques Lacan used to say that psychoanalysis is a delirium, which he was very proud of...). One cannot imagine to what point their speech is meaningless.

They are losing their influence (very slowly) in adults’ psychiatry and psychotherapy. But for lots of people here psychiatry = psychoanalysis.

But they are still incredibly influent in children psychiatry. Saying disgusting things like, "the subject chooses autism".

But one thing that comforted me when I became ill, is that I knew to what extend a whole body of professionals can be wrong against all evidence. And the example of the parents of autistic children fighting against the psychoanalytic lobby has always been in my mind.

These psychiatrists can't cancel their theory, they have built up their own career, their own professional identity upon it. They can't admit that autism is not a psychosis, because they have been too deeply into it.

Denial against so much evidence. I think lots of BPS model of CFS supporters will claim CFS to be psychosomatic against the evidence a long time, the most intelligent or opportunist will discreetly change their position.
    shahida likes this.
  5. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

maybe one should propose the hypothesis that psychoanalysis is a psychosis?
    natasa778 and Cheshire like this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I'm speechless! The concept of "refrigerator mothers" has long passed or so I thought.

Thanks @Esther12 for the article.

Barb
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. shahida

shahida

This is so interesting. Im interested in how ME is regarded around the world and looked up ME/CFS in France and there doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of support groups etc. giving me the impression that the psychos have greater cultural influence there. Are there any national ME groups in France?
    taniaaust1 and ggingues like this.
  8. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France
    There’s a group called l’Association Française du Syndrome de Fatigue Chronique.

There are several points that are really problematic.

- You can’t access their documentation unless you’re a member. To me it’s unacceptable. The aim of such a group should be to spread the information.

- It’s supposed to be a support group for sufferers, but in fact it’s its “scientific” board which is leading the agenda. The only requirement of the director seems to be that they don’t say it’s a psychiatric condition. But they can claim it’s functional, somatoform, that the best way to manage it is GET and CBT, that the illness is perpetuated by negative thoughts and maladaptive behaviors. They didn’t use the P word, so no problem.

- In their last bulletin, Pr Cabane said:

http://www.asso-sfc.org/documents/an-190-Bulletin-N34--Juin-2014-.pdf (i don't know why this bulletin is free access)

which could be translated that way :

"A French consensus is not possible now because of lack of resources. This does not prevent the Scientific Council to consider development of a text to be published with French experts who work without conflict of interest, without direction or pressure, independently, as opposed to the Canadian consensus subject to pressure from certain lobbies."

No comment needed… :aghhh:
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  9. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    ummm so in otherwise he wrongly diagnosed a 6mth old with autism who recovered cause the child didnt have autism after all. Diagnosing 3mth olds!! what! How does one diagnose a 3mth old with autism? (babies cant even focus their eyes properly at first). I guess this all plays into his I can treat that child cause its the mothers fault thing well .. (due to the false diagnoses)
  10. shahida

shahida

It's hard to believe that things are even worse in other places- what one earth does your average person with ME in France do? At least in the UK there are organisations and charities which support sufferers- I suppose you can join these internationally even though you're in France.
    If I ever got better I'd love to improve my basic French.

See more popular forum discussions.