1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Chronic Fatigue Initiative and Interview with Mady Hornig
In a follow-up article to the recent IACFS/ME conference presentation in San Francisco, and after speaking at length with Dr. Mady Hornig, 'searcher' delves deeper into the impressive work being completed by the Chronic Fatigue Initiative, and focuses in on those cytokine results ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lancet editorial: Chronic fatigue syndrome: going viral? (avail. online Sept 16)

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Rrrr, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

2. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
  3. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

oh my god. this is a horrible editorial! horrible. they say that cfs could be a virus, and give all this solid evidence of such, and then they say cfs could still be a psychological illness!

what is wrong with this picture? why is the UK so dedicated to calling cfs a mental illness!?
  4. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    "There is a general consensus that CFS is a heterogeneous family of disorders, and it seems most likely that these disorders arise from a constellation of pathophysiological causes. "

The hell you say. "General consensus" my afflicted ass.
  5. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    I don't like that either. Sigh, they found a way to have it both ways perhaps......cya very good job, ingenious.
  6. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Well, I just showed this article to my partner without mentioning my own thoughts on it. After she got done reading it, she just burst out laughing and exclaimed, "talk about an ostrich with its head in the sand"!

I mentioned how I thought it was just incredibly bizarre how they would mention in the first two paragraphs all the reports and data associating CFS with viral infections, and then in the final paragraph resort to their long-entrenched way of thinking; may still be psychological.

I also noticed how they started out the article by stating, "The controversy surrounding the possible causes of chronic fatigue syndrome". Of course they're referring to whether the cause is psychological or not. Hmmm, now who created this controversy to begin with?

I just find this article incredibly bizarre, especially coming from a purported prestigious medical journal. It's behavior such as this that sometimes makes me despair about the human race. This isn't the first time this has happened however. :Retro wink:

Best, Wayne
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    "But it seems unlikely that CFS is a consequence of EBV, because most people make a full recovery."

So post-polio actually has nothing to do with ever having Polio? Or Guillain-barre doesn't exist because most people don't get sick from immunisations?
  8. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

UK
    Arrgh, that final paragraph.. *slow claps for the lancet*
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

At least they made a vague and meaningless request for more research.

You can tell it's something that they're really fired up about.

(Maybe that's unfair - maybe it is something they're really pushing for. To me though, it sounds like an after-thought to excuse their disinterest).
  10. paddygirl

paddygirl Senior Member

They all now remind me of the Little Dutch Boy with his finger in the dyke. :Retro smile:
  11. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Translation

"The theory that CFS may be viral in origin first came to prominence in October, 2009" =
    "nobody of any importance paid attention to anything in the 1980s or 1990s"*

"general consensus" = "people we deign to talk to"

"CFS is a heterogeneous family of disorders" = "Oxford definition is a handy grab bag without etiology"

"strengthens the case for giving research into chronic fatigue the high priority it deserves" =
    "broaden the definition to chronic fatigue, and give the same people more money"

*"You're not talking about something that happened in the colonies, are you?"
  12. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    They have their fingers stuck in a couple other places too!
  13. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    I didn't look to see if people can comment......
  14. Boule de feu

Boule de feu Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    u - n - b - e - l - i - e - v - a - b - l - e - !

Where do we make a comment?
  15. LaurelW

LaurelW Senior Member

Utah
    That really puts me in the mood to go slap somebody.
  16. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    It is estimated that approximately 450 million people worldwide have a mental health problem.
    1 in 4 children are sexually abused.
    The connection of child abuse & mental illness with CFS have got to be put to rest.
  17. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Oh thank you! These two phrases made me laugh heartily out loud, here by myself on the couch--a most welcome treat today!!
    :tear:
  18. bakercape

bakercape Senior Member

Cape Cod. Mass
    Wow

reading that commentary was like watching a good movie where they botched the ending so bad you wind up hating it!
    What did they ask Wessely" How do you think this should end"?
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Really?

I've heard one is seven, using quite loose definitions of 'abuse' and 'children'. Sorry to go OT, but do you know where you read that? Ta.
  20. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    yep its true Esther, infact its probably higher the 1 in 4 http://www.apa.org/pi/families/resources/child-sexual-abuse.asp
    its devastating! The connection of child abuse, mental illness and CFS, just dont fit.

See more popular forum discussions.