Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lancet and BMJ at loggerheads over safety of statins

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marco, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
  2. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

Well, one of those journals have proven they cannot be trusted ever again...

3. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    An independent review?! :eek: I say, steady on. That's not how we do things in England, young lady. Sounds like a bit of a troublemaker, that one.

4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    The Daily Mail website is a mind-bendingly annoying site to load, with ads and stories about which celebs have been revealing which body parts popping up all the time, making it impossible to navigate and making my browser crash (possibly in shock).

The highlights of the article for me:

If you rephrase that question as "who not to trust?" it becomes a no-brainer. Looks like business as usual at the Lancet.

Apparently it's ok as long as the person you ask to do the review is a dame.

5. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    From the BMJ:

http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i4992

So many parallels here - a trial with limitations, Richard Horton sticking up for his mates with links to industry and either making statements that are incorrect or remaining silent, the need for third party scrutiny of the trial data ...

Criticism of the Lancet on the same issues that have affected us for so long can only be good for us, and maybe the issue of statins, which 6 million people take in the UK, is big enough for people outside the ME community to start giving a toss about the disgraceful practices of this scandalous rag.

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Trust neither. Trust the long term scientific process ... if there are questions its still controversial. One thing I would want to know, and this is for each drug, not class of drug, is the long term survival rate from all causes, which requires ongoing epidemiological studies.

The Lancet reputation is an issue, but we cannot use that to compare individual studies without considering, first and foremost, the details of those studies.

7. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Statins were pushed as a "wonder drug", like so many others before them...for profit
    FIRST DO NO HARM, is the prime rule of a physician, you treat a patient when there is actual cause, not because you think a drug will "help when they are well"

EVERY drug is a poison, it's always a matter of dose and effects over time, even "safe" drugs over a long time nearly always have some serious risk/problem, that's the simple truth
    the point is "does the benefit outweigh the risk?"

For example, painkillers have lots of issues, depending on type, but, they make quality of life bearable and that is vital.
    If my life expectancy is lowered a few years by their use, that's an acceptable trade, and one people should be honest about.

Being obese, sedentary, high blood pressure etc, statins could well help, but, for the average person....never wise to take rugs without reason. Everyone is different, every person has a chance for severe reaction to *any* drug
    Pushing these drugs was always about money.

8. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

So effective and safe that 6 million more patients should take them...

Hmmmmm...

Big hmmmmmm

Lots of pockets, and fingers, and pies, and slices of cake... All pigs in a trough at the end of it though...

Has a single statin ever been shown to save a single life?

I seem to remember Ben Goldacre himself going on about the dubiosuness of statin pushers...

9. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I hate the Daily Mail website information overload too.

If you use the free AdBlock ad blocking extension in your browser, then the following lines of code (in the blue box below) added to your AbBlock filter list will remove all of the ads and other celebrity crap that the Daily Mail serves up, making page loading faster, and enabling you to read the main story without causing a cerebral hemorrhage to yourself!

The AbBlock filter list is located under Adblock > Options > Customize > Edit Your Filters.
    Code:
    www.dailymail.co.uk##DIV[id="infinite-list"][class="item news"]
    www.dailymail.co.uk##DIV[class="beta"]
    www.dailymail.co.uk##DIV[id="most-watched-videos"]
    www.dailymail.co.uk##DIV[class="rotator news"]

I like Adblock, as it allows you to block out any section of a webpage, not just adverts (to block out a section of a page, just right click on the webpage, and hover over the section you want to block, then left click it). Adblock is available for Safari and Chrome, but not Firefox (as far as I am aware). Not to be confused with Adblock Plus, a different product.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Luther Blissett, actup and TiredSam like this.
  10. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

Overly adverted websites should be "rewarded" with complete avoidance, not page views via blocking.

11. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    O/T @TiredSam, @Hip, you have inspired me to start a thread about making places like the Daily Mail more readable. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...our-internet-experience-less-stressful.46850/

There is a good blog on BMJ about this, http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2016/09/12/richard-lehman-where-next-with-statins/ a few points raised

(empasis added)
    (empasis added)

TiredSam, Skippa, actup and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.