May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lack of protein causing me to crash?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by TrixieStix, Feb 27, 2017.

1. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member

Tonight I had a very sudden crash that I believe was due to having not eaten enough protein for my body's needs. After I ate the piece of salmon my husband cooked for me I slowly began to come out of the crash and normalize (my normal of course). It was not simply that I had not eaten because I had eaten. And it was nothing like a blood sugar crash.

Of course I have no way of proving that, and I may be totally wrong, but I wondered if anybody else has experienced anything similar?

Valentijn, xrayspex and mirshine like this.
  2. mirshine

mirshine Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    I definitely find if I don't eat protein at lunch and dinner that I get worse. I now keep a bowl of hard boiled eggs in the fridge if I feel lacking.

TrixieStix likes this.
  3. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    I noticed yesterday, I was having bad energy pain day, that after I had some bone broth soup with little bits of meat in it that I had simmered all day that I felt much better, was interesting!

TrixieStix likes this.
  4. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    I tend to need methionine and tyrosine. They help in different ways with fatigue. Also, one of the recent studies said we need more amino acids.

I tend to do well on 1.4g/kg of protein, confirmed by lab results.

keenly likes this.
  5. keenly

keenly

UK
    What about the ammonia released from the protein though?

6. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    I have SNPs that predispose me to higher ammonia levels, so I do monitor my ammonia level. It's been on the higher end of the normal range, but hasn't become a problem. If it does, then we deal with it. For now, my body seems to want the amino acids. I eat plenty of protein and supplement those I'm short on.

keenly likes this.
  7. keenly

keenly

UK
    What is the best way to monitor ammonia levels?

8. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    I do an annual Genova Diagnostics NutrEval, which has a $154 prepay in my area. Results take awhile, but the info is valuable, giving all my amino acid levels, B vitamins, antioxidants, Krebs cycle, toxicity, and a lot of other good stuff. Over time, my doctor's and I have learned what my tendencies are, and it's given good info, sometimes surprising, that's been helpful in my treatment.

A regular lab could test, too, and then there's how you and your secretions smell ... and monitoring your symptoms.

9. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    If ammonia is an issue, one can take l-citrulline N-acetylene-cysteine, or glutathione.

See more popular forum discussions.