Home care is the theme for Severe ME Day on August 8th
Why should home care be the theme on Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME on August 8? Helen Brownlie of the 25% ME Group has written an explanation for Phoenix Rising ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lack of proteases (pancreatic enzymes) and the symptoms of CFS

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Annesse, Dec 28, 2011.

  1. Annesse

    Annesse Senior Member

    Messages:
    164
    Likes:
    22
    Hi Valentijn, one of the core reasons I feel CFS patients should not take supplements is that they can cause harm. "Do No Harm" is a very important premise to me. I have posted quite a bit on the missing nutrients found in CFS. And just as important ,I think,is I have explained why they are missing. If you are inable to bind or transport nutrients, they cannot be properly metabolized. If you can't digest proteins for instance you cannot carry PROTEIN BOUND calcium. The calcium is then deposited in your joints and tissues. So, is the answer to take MORE calcium so your body has MORE to deposit in your joints and tissues?

    The same is true of iron, another nutrient found lacking in CFS. Iron is found in high protein foods. Also, I have posted information to show that protease are what regulate iron absorption in the body. Would it be wise to take supplemental iron if you have lost the ability to regulate it? Here is some information that shows how the heavy metal ion, copper, literally needs a "chaperone" within the body to prevent it from causing much harm to the body.

    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/1997-10/NU-CEHH-301097.php
     
  2. Annesse

    Annesse Senior Member

    Messages:
    164
    Likes:
    22
    I have also posted some information on the lack of vitamin D found in CFS. If you are unable to carry PROTEIN BOUND calcium, you would not be able to metabolize vitamin D. Should you take supplemental vitamin D if you have no ability to metabolize it? Could it cause you harm? I posted some information that shows it can indeed lead to a great deal of harm. In fact, it is a main ingredient in many rodent poisons. Some people need a little more convincing than others. Me? You had me at rat poison.

    I have also posted studies that show taking isolated amino acids can lead to an increase in disease risk. The researchers stated this was due they felt to a "defect" in the the body's ability to "metabolize" the amino acid.

    Man has only discovered 10% of all nutrients. That leaves 90% of nutrients yet to be discovered. What role do they play in the body's ability to metabolize the other 10%? Even if we knew, as I posted earlier, man can recreate sea water, but life cannot be sustained in it. Man cannot improve upon nor duplicate nature when it comes to giving our bodies the nutrients it needs in the form it was designed to use them in.

    There are many other studies that show a celiac patient can digest gluten as long as the gluten is properly predigested the way nature intended. Many artisan bread companies that bake bread using sourdough yeast have loyal followers of people that were formerly gluten intolerant. They post hundreds of testimonials online. If you find a study to not be up to a standard you personally feel is convincing from a scientific viewpoint, then I do feel you should continue to research.

    Hi Jenny, I do see that it is mentioned here, but not in a manner that would have caught anyone's attention really. It was brought up and he was simply responding to the question. Here is the quote from the link you posted.

    "You noted that excessive fermentation in the large intestine can lead to the overproduction of lactic acid yet fermented lactic acid producing vegetable products such as sauerkraut, pickles and miso (as well as yogurt) are also sometimes recommended for gut issues. Do you recommend against using those products?

    "No, generally these would be good choices if not in excess. There is a difference between foods that have been fermented, and foods that are awaiting fermentation by our own bacteria. Still, excessive dairy sugars arriving in the lower gut may be an issue and dairy has been associated with problems in short bowel syndrome with excess D-lactate."

    I do highly recommend sauerkraut. My recommendation is based on all of the posts I have made that point to the inability to digest proteins as the causitive factor of ME/CFS.
     
  3. adreno

    adreno Learned helplessness

    Messages:
    4,149
    Likes:
    6,510
    Europe
    I guess you're referring to one paper by the infamous Trevor Marshall. In the paper he describes a disease model; it's not a clinical trial. Conversely, there has been literally hundreds of clinical trials showing the benefits of vitamin D.

    Just about every substance imaginable is lethal at high enough doses. That includes ordinary stuff like salt and water.


    From: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/what-is-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-toxicity/
    40,000 - 2,000,000 IU? Call me a maverick, but the toxicity of vitamin D does not worry me, any more than I worry about an a-bomb dropping on my head tomorrow.
     
    GcMAF Australia likes this.
  4. DrD

    DrD

    Messages:
    45
    Likes:
    2
    Have you tried Enzymedica, Digest Gold Enzymes. This one does not burn my stomach. Start with one time a day at breakfast. Slowly increment to 2 times a day (breakfast and dinner). If it burns go back to one time a day.
     
  5. GcMAF Australia

    GcMAF Australia Senior Member

    Messages:
    964
    Likes:
    981
    This is an excellent debating point to bring up. More recent studies have challenged this Hypercalcemia problem. I am looking at the concept of getting Vitamin D supplements through the skin, I have put vitamin D and ti tree oil on my skin to treat a keratoma.
     
  6. sflorence

    sflorence

    Messages:
    89
    Likes:
    17
    Could you link me to the thread where you say you "explain chemical sensitivity"? Very curious, as it turns out I have a very under functioning pancreas and also severe MCS
     
  7. GcMAF Australia

    GcMAF Australia Senior Member

    Messages:
    964
    Likes:
    981
     
  8. cfs6691

    cfs6691

    Messages:
    51
    Likes:
    22
    I suspect that my CFS is undiagnosed liver damage(cholestasis caused by contraceptive steroids) and as far as I know blood tests are not always reliable in order to diagnose liver disease/damage.I would like to know how many cases of primary biliary cirrhosis you have come across and how early(regarding bile duct damage)they get diagnosed.
     
  9. wastwater

    wastwater Senior Member

    Messages:
    657
    Likes:
    285
    uk
    I had wondered about this and no longer supplement vitamin D also quite a few people are aversive to light with this,that speaks of not wanting more vitamin D
     

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page