May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Lack of evidence for dietary fat reduction

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Feb 10, 2015.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    http://openheart.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000196

WillowJ, Sidereal, August59 and 3 others like this.
  2. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I wonder how many more years/decades it will be before doctors, nutritionists, etc., stop advising people to reduce dietary fat?

Interesting also to note that cholesterol levels were not associated with mortality. I know that cholesterol advice has been refined, to specify LDL and HDL, and more recently has been further refined to specify HDL activity rather than levels IIRC (thought I'd posted a thread on this recently but can't find it).

I wonder whether that evidence will hold up?

WillowJ and Art Vandelay like this.
  3. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    ...and now we know why...

It seems like for many years they have been trying to make the evidence fit the cholesterol theory by constantly adjusting the tests and reference ranges, etc. Maybe it's time for a new theory, before more people are harmed by statins.

The medical industry has been doing the same thing with the worse-than-worthless PSA test. Even the developer of the test says it's worthless, but it will take a generation before doctors stop shoving needles up butts based solely on a flawed test.

I have been directly harmed by the bogus PSA test. In 2007 I asked for a B12 test. Without my consent, the doctor also checked the box for PSA. When it came back out-of-range, the medical machine went into overdrive, with doctors insisting on more PSA tests and prostate biopsy, based solely on the lab report; I had no prostate-related symptoms at all, but that didn't matter once the train left the station. It didn't take much research for me to conclude that it was time to put on the brakes, which of course made me a patient with bad attitude, and even more difficult to get any kind of help for ME.

Even a neurologist spent a half-hour (at least!) trying to bully me into a biopsy - instead of an examination of my neurological problems. My primary care person tried to convince me the ME symptoms (especially fatigue) were possibly/likely caused by prostate cancer, an assertion not supported by any literature I could find - and I really looked.

My partner of seven years moved out in large part due to the fact I refused medical care for high-PSA "disease". Like many people, she preferred to believe "the experts" instead of the evidence. She moved out in mid-winter at a time I was barely able to work a few hours per week, had no money, and had already been denied disability benefits. I heated my modest trailer house that winter by dumpster-diving for scrap wood and free heating oil from that Evil Hugo Chavez.

Somehow I managed to hang on through the never-ending disability appeals process until finally receiving a favorable judgement, in spite of suicidal ideation nearly every day for a few years. The harm I (and so many others!) experienced will never be recognized by the medical machine as it continues to chew up patients and spit out dollar bills.

I wonder if anyone has ever looked into the harms caused by the "Saturated Fat is Evil" lobby. I expect it would be a very long list.

*GG*, MeSci and shannah like this.
  4. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

So terrible that high carbs were pushed when fats were demonized. In Perlmutter's fine book Grain Brain, there's a cartoon of a doctor talking to a patient. Oops indeed!

[​IMG]

Sidereal, jimells, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  5. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I think that a number of people have, and the numbers are growing. This article (I don't normally quote the Daily Mail!) mentions some.

I'm reserving judgement on cholesterol in light of the recent research finding that it wasn't levels of HDL but its activity that was associated with something - I forget what it was. I thought I'd posted a thread here but can't find it.

Just did a general search and found this in vitro study. Ignoring the mouse stuff, that may be relevant.

jimells likes this.
  6. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Why is Hugo Chavez evil? He's probably warmer than us right now. LOL

GG

7. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Well, that's what Our Dear Leaders have been telling us since 2002 when Uncle Sam organized and praised the coup d'etat in Venezuela. They are currently attempting another "regime change" even now. Personally, I vehemently disagree with the propaganda.

When Uncle Sam has a grievance against anybody he responds with aggression. After the failed coup Mr Chavez responded by sending free oil to poor Americans, including me. That's the very embodiment of Jesus' message. (And I'm not even a Christian!)

MeSci likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.