• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lack of Detection of Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus in HIV-1 Lymphoma

Jemal

This is a new study I think, done by the NIH. Negative...

Lack of Detection of Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus in HIV-1 Lymphoma Patients

Krista Delviks-Frankenberry, Chawaree Chaipan, Rachel Bagni, Kathleen Wyvill, R. Yarchoan, and Vinay Pathak

Received 17 June 2011; Accepted 11 July 2011

Academic Editor: Yoshinao Kubo

Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) is a gammaretrovirus reported to be associated with human prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome. Since retroviruses cause various cancers, and XMRV replication might be facilitated by HIV-1 co-infection, we asked whether certain patients with HIV-associated lymphomas are infected with XMRV. Analysis of PMBCs and plasma from 26 patients failed to detect XMRV by PCR, ELISA, or Western blot, suggesting a lack of association between XMRV and AIDS-associated lymphomas.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/av/aip/797820/

eric_s

Thanks, Jemal. What surprises me is that Rachel Bagni is a coauthor here. I think she works with the WPI group sometimes, so she should know how to do it right.

Edit: She was a coauthor of 2009's Lombardi et al. paper.

Jemal

She is also a former student of Judy Mikovits I think. Haven't read the paper yet, so I don't know if it's very negative about XMRV or not.

Jemal

could there be a lack of xmrv in HIV because they are already on anti-retro drugs?????????????????

It's possible it has an effect, yes.

That patients with HIV don't have XMRV, really doesn't say a lot, I think. They have compromised immune systems, but that doesn't have to mean they have XMRV. And I am not even sure if the researchers from this paper can reliably detect this virus anyway. So I am not sure this recent study adds anything new to the table...