• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lack of chatter about the Ketogenic Diet

pamojja

Wow. Does that graphic mean you get up to 10 elemental sodium per day? Or almost double that as salt?
Important question. It is indeed the elemental sodium. 10g salt = 3.86g elemental sodium.

Maybe you didn't understand my question? I asked if the graphic means about 10 g elemental sodium. You answer yes, but than state it's not, but 3.86 g elemental sodium only?!

Which is quite an average intake, while 10 g/d of elemental sodium would be not.

Last edited:

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
Maybe you didn't understand my question? I asked if the graphic means about 10 g elemental sodium. You answer yes, but than state it's not, but 3.86 g elemental sodium only?!
Sorry for being indeed misunderstandable. The statement on the 10g = 3.86g was merely a statement on the conversion rate. So, here is my next try:

It is elementa sodium. Fullstop. :D

(I add that this sodium number is not computed only from the salt I sprinkle on my dishes, but from the total salt in all what I eat. I enter my dishes with approximate weights)

I see for you this point is really important, so here are two screenshots showing that it is truly the sodium what this graph shows. In order to test what the software actually measures, I test-entered 100g of salt consumption for today (yummmmie!! :D ;);););)):
IMG_20180609_070149.jpg

and here you see what the software produces:
IMG_20180609_070700.jpg

Btw it is cronometer.com. You can well use it for free. (Though, I like to support their good work)

Last edited:

sb4

@Lolinda Interesting with the salt thing I have POTS but have found high dose salt to not make a difference, nor taste good. I had assumed this was because my body didn't need it however now I think I didn't do high dose enough or with propper salt (I used sea salt and table salt), 100g is a LOT!

Do you find with other salts it is disgusting and only certain salts taste good?

pamojja

I see for you this point is really important, so here are two screenshots showing that it is truly the sodium what this graph shows.

Thanks for confirming. I actually used cronometer for almost 3 years 10 years ago, when my health journey started. Had to quit it at one point, for a reduction in my increasingly obsessive behavior :).

At that time got only about 1.5 g/d of sodium in average from diet. Meanwhile have increased supplemental to 3.5 g/d.

i just want to add a plus one to recommending the pk diet. i did it after dr myhill told me it was the main thing i should try. i already take the usual supplements: ubiquinol, b12, magnesium, nac, etc. i'd been gluten and dairy free for about 18 months before. plus i was on valtrex - this helped to move me up the energy index scale, but not as much as i hoped.

it's no exaggeration to state that this is the biggest improvement in my symptoms since i relapsed again.

i was in keto flu for three weeks after starting it. i felt pretty lousy in that time, but kept with it. then one afternoon in an instant i felt clear headed (or clearer) that i had in years. this has kept up. my cognitive abilities are hugely better. physically, i'm pretty much the same, which is incredibly frustrating as i am now far more aware of my limitations than i was, but i am able to do more, so that's amazing!

that's now 8 months i've been on it, and i've continued to improve.

now found bulletproof mct. this seems to be a bit of a miracle worker. i've just done a couple of days of events that i simply wouldn't have coped with this time last year.

i've made matcha lattes (nut mylk based) with bulletproof and coconut bliss. this had an almost instantaneous lift to my abilities.

now hoping i don't get a major crash after doing all this. have i suddenly got the extra energy to do things normal, healthy people can, or has this just masked the tiredness? going to find out this week.

has anyone any experience with bulletproof mct where they've found it useful, but perhaps has just taken future energy leaving a deficit?? pem incoming?!?!?

Last edited: