The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

L-theanine - anyone tried?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by otterjack, May 18, 2016.

1. otterjack

otterjack

Manchester, UK
    Hi All,

I've just started taking L-theanine - it's only my second day. Started on just 200mg a day. One thing I've noticed today is that my appetite is lower than normal. I'm not complaining about that at all as I am *ahem* carrying a few extra pounds....However, I'm just interested to hear from anyone else who has tried this supplement and if you found the same side effect? That is, if it is a side effect. Perhaps I'm just having a very rare 'not stuffing myself' day.

2. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    Maybe it helped calm me a bit when combined stimulants but I'm not even sure of that I haven't noticed any other effects

3. undiagnosed

undiagnosed Senior Member

United States
    I've used Suntheanine which are chewable L-Theanine tablets. I've taken 100-200 mg and usually it just makes me tired and I tend to take a nap so I don't take them often. I didn't notice any effect on appetite.

4. u&iraok

u&iraok Senior Member

U.S.
    I've had great success with l-theanine clearing my head and relaxing me, but not with appetite suppression that I've noticed, however, others have remarked on it's appetite-reducing effect. It does induce thermogenesis, fat burning, so many that's the connection.

Here's a quote with a good article that has references:

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2006/1/report_theanine/Page-01

Mel9 and Little Bluestem like this.
  5. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia

I bought some theanine but not sure if I should take it after all. My son, who has anxiety, problems, took one tablet and had a massive panic attack as a result
    Is this common?

6. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

No effects on me at all, good or bad :meh:

7. serusaert

serusaert

Seattle
    @Mel9 - it's the bomb. i have it each morning:

Blended in coffee: Inositol, D-Ribose, Caprylic Acid (C8 MCT)
    Supplements with coffee: NAD+, L-Glutamine, R-Alpha Lipoic Acid, L-Theanine

l-theanine combined with coffee has a very nice effect - a calm alertness that is subtly chill. it's very good for waking up and starting the day. for me, this is a nice combo with the effect that LDN generates.

if you try it, i'd suggest that you take it with a cup of coffee or tea in the morning. i doubt that you will find it to be unpleasant.

@otterjack - regarding appetite suppression, i have not experienced any appetite issues with it (my appetite is suppressed by PEM/fatigue).

Mel9 likes this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
    I take it at night, with magnesium malate, potassium glycinate and cetirizine, it helps me get to sleep, took about 3 weeks to do anything noticeable in that regard tho. Now instead of lying there like an idiot for 4-5 hours waiting to get to sleep, as I have done most nights for the last 20 odd years, I am generally asleep within an hour,

sb4 and Mel9 like this.
  9. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia

I have been taking it for a few months now and I think it has helped me through stressful times waiting for my redundancy

Wonko and sb4 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.