The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

L Glutamine, NAC, NAG, Glutathione - which best for what I need

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Prefect, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Prefect

Prefect Senior Member

Canada
    I've been researching these 4 supplements and the subtle differences is driving me insane, especially when sleep deprivation my 2 year puts me through is pouring gasoline right into my brain fog / anxiety fire.

I'm looking for a supplement that improves the intestinal barrier (reduces intestinal permeability) and also reduces nasal stuffiness through the same action (I believe by improving mucosal lining defense).

For some strange reason my nose has been stuffed up for 20 years since the very week I started having intestinal symptoms.

If it can also reduce brain fog and anxiety that would be a bonus too.

Am I asking too much for wanting to take one of these for this purpose? I'm a "try just one supplement for a month and see what happens type of guy".

ebethc and eljefe19 like this.
  2. eljefe19

eljefe19

I believe NAG and L Glutamine are the best for improving the intestinal barrier.

3. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    Check out the thread Oral probiotics to clear your head for a couple of oral probiotic products that some people have used to help clear their sinuses, reduce brain fog, and heal gums.

lafarfelue likes this.
  4. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    And for anxiety, this thread might be useful. It includes NAG as one of the anxiety reducing supplements.

lafarfelue likes this.
  5. Hugo

Hugo Senior Member

Probably L-Glutamine, I used that just for a couple of days and I cant be sure because I used another supplement aswell. But my stomach is now better than ever.

6. Prefect

Prefect Senior Member

Canada
    I'm shocked by this one, because it means bacteria that give you plaque also give you sinusitis? Anyway lately I've had VSL#3 as an option in my potential treatment list.

I don't actually get sinus problems, it's been like less air comes in through my nose since the day I got intestinal problems, almost as if I suddenly grew nasal polyps that week. I've had to wear Breathright nasal strips for years to be able to sleep.

My theory is whatever illness I had triggered an inflammatory response that has also affected the mucus membranes my nasal passages, and also has damaged mucosal barriers.

I've been obsessed with this thread since I signed up to this site. This thread in fully inline with intestinal / inflammatory mechanisms behind mental illness, which is what I think has happened in my case.

I just wasn't sure if NAG was as effective as glutamine as an intestinal barrier fixer.

This post is also the reason I'm trying Curcumin, but treading forward very carefully because Curcumin and my anxiety med (Luvox) may interact in ways that can cause serotonin syndrome. But I'm not giving up on Curcumin because it really fits in at the top with my theory on how I can get myself out of this; nature's most powerful anti-inflammatory, and a mild MAO inhibitor.

PatJ likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.