• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L Glutamine, NAC, NAG, Glutathione - which best for what I need

Prefect

I've been researching these 4 supplements and the subtle differences is driving me insane, especially when sleep deprivation my 2 year puts me through is pouring gasoline right into my brain fog / anxiety fire.

I'm looking for a supplement that improves the intestinal barrier (reduces intestinal permeability) and also reduces nasal stuffiness through the same action (I believe by improving mucosal lining defense).

For some strange reason my nose has been stuffed up for 20 years since the very week I started having intestinal symptoms.

If it can also reduce brain fog and anxiety that would be a bonus too.

Am I asking too much for wanting to take one of these for this purpose? I'm a "try just one supplement for a month and see what happens type of guy".

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
and also reduces nasal stuffiness through the same action (I believe by improving mucosal lining defense). ... If it can also reduce brain fog and anxiety that would be a bonus too.

Check out the thread Oral probiotics to clear your head for a couple of oral probiotic products that some people have used to help clear their sinuses, reduce brain fog, and heal gums.

Hugo

Probably L-Glutamine, I used that just for a couple of days and I cant be sure because I used another supplement aswell. But my stomach is now better than ever.

Prefect

Check out the thread Oral probiotics to clear your head for a couple of oral probiotic products that some people have used to help clear their sinuses, reduce brain fog, and heal gums.

I'm shocked by this one, because it means bacteria that give you plaque also give you sinusitis? Anyway lately I've had VSL#3 as an option in my potential treatment list.

I don't actually get sinus problems, it's been like less air comes in through my nose since the day I got intestinal problems, almost as if I suddenly grew nasal polyps that week. I've had to wear Breathright nasal strips for years to be able to sleep.

My theory is whatever illness I had triggered an inflammatory response that has also affected the mucus membranes my nasal passages, and also has damaged mucosal barriers.

And for anxiety, this thread might be useful. It includes NAG as one of the anxiety reducing supplements.

I've been obsessed with this thread since I signed up to this site. This thread in fully inline with intestinal / inflammatory mechanisms behind mental illness, which is what I think has happened in my case.

I just wasn't sure if NAG was as effective as glutamine as an intestinal barrier fixer.

This post is also the reason I'm trying Curcumin, but treading forward very carefully because Curcumin and my anxiety med (Luvox) may interact in ways that can cause serotonin syndrome. But I'm not giving up on Curcumin because it really fits in at the top with my theory on how I can get myself out of this; nature's most powerful anti-inflammatory, and a mild MAO inhibitor.