Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Kombucha & Water Kefir - too "vinegary" for me, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Bansaw, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I tried raw milk kefir too. I don' think my body appreciates dairy either.

When I try water kefir and kombucha , I do seem to get a reaction to the vinegar (or sugar content).
    I think its the vinegar since I do ferment kefir/kombucha until the sugar has pretty much converted (I have Ph strips to measure where I am). I don't know if my methylation snps are defining how I react to vinegars?

I know I get sugar reactions with other stuff like ice cream/cookies etc. And I get cafeine reactions too.

I am toying with the idea of simply eating the water kefir grains.

Any comments?

2. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    If it is too acidic just dilute it. When it is too acidic for me I usually have it mixed with cold green tea.

But I am not sure if this is the issue you are talking about. How do the kombucha and water kefir (tibicos) effect you.

3. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Kombucha and Kefir, about 10 mins after I consume them, give me a feeling of lightheadedness and my energy level drops a little. Its a little like a sugar reaction for me. Although excessive sugar reaction is somewhat stronger.

4. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    Ok, that is not a reaction that I have had.

My understanding that the sugar that is left in the kombucha is mostly fructose and that that is absorbed more slowly than glucose, so 10 minutes sounds a bit fast. It could be the organic acids I guess or perhaps the alcohol.

I don't know, but hope someone has an idea.

Do you get light headed with the caffeine too?

5. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Caffeine is a bit different. It gives me a 10 minute buzz and then I crash into brain fog and a heavier fatigue 20 mins after I take caffeine. I think this has to do with my methylation issues.
    The kefir and kombucha have a negliable amount of alcohol in them since its not an anearobic (2nd fermentation). Kombucha/WK is vinegar until you 2nd ferment it by putting an airtight lid on it for a few days.

6. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    I just do it aerobic all the way. I don't feel the need to make it fizz.

I just did a bit of a search and there are other people mentioning this symptom ( http://kombuchatea.tribe.net/thread/0d8bae37-5bb7-45f8-b2c5-a54cf7784b3d ) for example. Though this is one with a long second stage ferment.

Another ferment you may wish to try is beet kvass. Its really easy http://www.nourishingtreasures.com/index.php/2013/01/29/beet-kvass-photo-tutorial/

It is a very different ferment, so may have very different effects, but should also provide some of the probiotic bacteria you are presumably looking for.

7. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Thanks! I'm looking into that. It looks simple to make.

See more popular forum discussions.