• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kombucha Tea

aaron_c

@Adam_trainor1 : Having only rarely brewed a good batch, I don't have a lot to share. My one piece of advice is: Don't over-brew it. I continue to benefit from store-bought kombucha. At one point I made a batch myself, but it actually made me worse. I am afraid I don't really know what, specifically, caused that, but I do know that my batch was definitely more sour than the stuff I buy in the stores.

I mention this in case you haven't tested the benefits of kombucha with a "professional" variety first. It would be a shame to mistake a bad batch for the "real thing."

jess100

I'm thinking of making this myself. I found a place to buy a Scoby and instructions.

Is anyone here making this? What are your experiences? thanks
Yes, I make it all the time, and drink it all the time. I'm brewing 2 half gallon containers right now. Sorry, but I never really believed all the warnings about how dangerous it is. After all people get sick after eating meat, etc. But we don't stop eating meat because of that. And kombucha has been brewed for hundreds of years-maybe longer. Frankly I'm more worried about the "healthy food" in the supermarket!! The chemical laden, carcinogen carrying foods that are being marketed as really good for us.
My experience with kombucha is that it tastes good, and I enjoy having it. I've never had a problem with it, and I don't know anyone else who has. Many people in my town make it.
I started with a bottle of GT brand and started a scoby with the instructions on the website "Cultures for Health". Very helpful people there. Some batches taste better than others-but I've never had a problem with mold or any other problem, and have always followed their instructions.
I don't know if it really has a lot of health benefits. I have never noticed any difference. I do believe it's better than drinking soda, "crystal light", and many other things that have come to pass as normal. At least I know exactly what is in the kombucha-because I made it.

I think making your own scoby is the way to go. When you buy them online they need to rehydrate. It only takes about a week to make one. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

So, I am recently new to kombucha and I found this forum and saw this post. I have not tried my first brew yet but I will be doing soon. I have been reading many websites about it and where to start. But the first step to it all is to get a SCOBY. Is it best to get your own to start off with than getting a friends SCOBY baby. Its good that I found this post and read these comments about health warnings that the tea can have. Sorry I can't contribute much to the discussion about health warnings, but I am glad I saw it because all I have read about it the health benefits.
Can anyone recommend any tips when doing my first brew?
So, I am recently new to kombucha and I found this forum and saw this post. I have not tried my first brew yet but I will be doing soon. I have been reading many websites about it and where to start. But the first step to it all is to get a SCOBY. Is it best to get your own to start off with than getting a friends SCOBY baby. Its good that I found this post and read these comments about health warnings that the tea can have. Sorry I can't contribute much to the discussion about health warnings, but I am glad I saw it because all I have read about it the health benefits.
Can anyone recommend any tips when doing my first brew?

jess100

@Adam_trainor1 : Having only rarely brewed a good batch, I don't have a lot to share. My one piece of advice is: Don't over-brew it. I continue to benefit from store-bought kombucha. At one point I made a batch myself, but it actually made me worse. I am afraid I don't really know what, specifically, caused that, but I do know that my batch was definitely more sour than the stuff I buy in the stores.

I mention this in case you haven't tested the benefits of kombucha with a "professional" variety first. It would be a shame to mistake a bad batch for the "real thing."
That's good advice! If you try the professionally brewed ones you'll have a better idea of what it should taste like.
In the warm weather it can brew (and get strong) really quickly.

Did it taste like vinegar? I did read somewhere that if you over brew it, it can taste like strong vinegar.

aaron_c

Did it taste like vinegar? I did read somewhere that if you over brew it, it can taste like strong vinegar.

A bit, yes. I was trying to match the sweetness to the store-bought brands--in order to reduce the sweetness I kept brewing until it was fairly vinegary. The sweetness was just about right, though! :) Maybe my recipe used a little too much sugar? I am not sure.