Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Komaroff: inflammation correlates with symptoms in ME

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Countrygirl, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl I'm with Cheesus

UK
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/08/14/1712475114.extract

Inflammation correlates with symptoms in chronic fatigue syndrome
    1. Anthony L. Komaroffa,1

Jennifer J, Jan, Skycloud and 12 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I appreciate the editorial.

Komaroff summarises some of the most popular hypotheses (and presumably some of his favourite studies), though provides little in the way of original insight.

ukxmrv and Countrygirl like this.
  3. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Save PR. Sack the President of the Board.

Pity the article is behind a paywall. Sounds like it could be a useful summary of current knowledge.

pernille, Sing and Countrygirl like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

5. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Komaroff is a very skillful summarizer and communicator in this field, which I have appreciated. However, I have seen that he is conservative about not extending his statements beyond what has been scientifically established. I tend to think this is because he is at Harvard Medical School as well as working in a politically tricky field (ours) and so treads cautiously. I have found this a little frustrating at times! However, what he lacks in a bold and more forward approach, he makes up for in his longevity, honesty and steady commitment. When I imagine the institutional settings he works in---committees, schools, hospitals, conferences and public communications--I can well imagine the cross currents he is dealing with, and so his conservative approach, conveyed honestly and pleasantly, to those who may not want to hear even that much, seems a little more heroic. He is one of the valuable players on our team--not the one who takes the ball down the field--but a supportive one who keeps us up in the competition. His work deserves my respect and appreciation.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Kati, Murph, Manganus and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.