• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Knowledge of emotional awareness and personality types

pebble

Is anyone else particularly interested in emotional awareness and personality types?

I was hoping to find a group of people who are also particularly interested in emotional literacy and personality types.

I was hoping we could bounce some ideas off each other.

My energy is quite limited at the moment but Im hoping it will improve in a few days / weeks.

I was hoping by then we would have gathered a group of us together and we could bounce some ideas off each other.

Your welcome to PM me.

pebble

pebble

I particularly love

transactional analysis.

philosophy.

neuroscience (mainly from Why love matters by Sue Gerhardt).

And more recently personality types

Hi Pebble. I've got some interest in all this stuff... but not enough to commit the time to any real discussion group (too tired!!). If you find something interesting you particularly want to talk about, you could just post it on the forum, and see if anyone comments. That might be better than trying to form any official group. Good luck with it.

pebble

quote from Esther12.
Hi Pebble. I've got some interest in all this stuff... but not enough to commit the time to any real discussion group (too tired!!).

If you find something interesting you particularly want to talk about, you could just post it on the forum, and see if anyone comments.

That might be better than trying to form any official group. Good luck with it.

Hi Esther12,

Thank you but I just want to clarify.

I dont want to start an official group.

I dont want anyone to commit to anything.

I dont even want a discussion group.

I love these hobbies and I have been studying and reading about them for about ten years.

Most hobbies and interests have their own subject specific terminology and vocabulary.

I would love to find a group of people I could chat to and bounce ideas with who were also interested in emotional literacy and personality types and who were also familiar with the vocabulary.

If you learn a language then dont use it atrophies.

There is no set agenda.

There are so many different interest groups, football, knitting, climbing etc.

My interest is in emotional literacy and personality types.

It would be great to be able to chat with others who have the same hobbies and interests, to use the terminology and share books and ideas.

maddietod

I've read psychology for fun my whole life. I don't know what you mean by 'emotional literacy' - maybe the terminology is a little different in the UK? But in terms of personality types, I've played around with Ennaegrams and Myers-Briggs, and enjoy astrology as a language of personality. I've only been on chat 2ce, but maybe we'll find each other there!

Madeleine

pebble

Hi madietodd,

Thank you for your post.

Great, my focus was mainly TA. Although I really love TA I feel its important to keep widening and extending understanding and awareness in other areas.

I was hoping if we had a group of us we could all share our different interest areas.

Although I really love the internet. Because my energy is so limited and the damage to my concentration and memory, I find the volume of information available overwhelming and confusing.

There are so many websites and names and it takes so much energy and concentration to know where to start and where Ive already been.

I was hoping we could give each other shortcuts, share names and links of where best to start.

As I mentioned, my interest in personality types is recent. I googled videos on personality types and found it exhausting going through so many. I saved the links to the videos I found useful but then lost the file.

I dont want this thread to be work, just an opportunity to share a common hobby.

Im house bound and I really miss being able to talk and listen about a hobby I love so much.

When I said chat I meant on this thread.

Im afraid I dont have enough energy for the instant chat. I find it too stressful to have to reply so quickly.

pebble

pebble

I don't know what you mean by 'emotional literacy'

Hi Madietodd,

Sorry I forgot,

emotional literacy is the ability to understand ones own feelings and to empathise with the feelings of others in a way that enhances living

Your emotional literacy is made up of three abilities:

The ability to understand your emotions,

The ability to listen to others and empathize with their emotions,

And the ability to express emotions productively.

To be emotionally literate is to be able to handle emotions in a way that improves your personal power and improves the quality of life around you.

Emotional literacy improves relationships, creates loving possibilities between people, makes cooperative work possible, and facilitates the feeling of community.Claude Steiner.

maddietod

Ah well, emotional literacy is key to healthy relationships, then. I've found the Buddhist perspective on life to be very helpful. Have you read any Buddhist authors? It's all about self-awareness and gentleness with self and others.

pebble

Hi madietodd,
Yes, I loved a story I read many years ago about a man whos son found a horse then fell off the horse etc. And his neighbours kept telling him he was lucky or unlucky and he kept saying (something).

I loved the story but its very vague now but I cant remember which book I found it in.

Are you familiar with the story? Id love to read it again.

I have to keep rereading my favourite books to stop them from falling out of my head.

maddietod

Yes! I know that story, but don't know what tradition it comes from. I'll keep it in mind.

Have you read the Sufi stories of Nasruddin? My favorite is one where he's come home late and more than a little tipsy, finds he's dropped his keys, and he's looking for them under a lamppost. His neighbor comes and hunts with him, and after they've searched for ages the neighbor asks if he's sure he dropped them here. Nasruddin says no, he dropped them 'over there'. But there's no light over there, so he's looking under the lamp.

If you google Nasruddin you'll find more stories.

pebble

As I mentioned, I am very new to personality types. My energy and concentration are really limited.

I found trudging through so many videos really exhausting and frustrating and was so disappointed when I lost my list of links that I didnt have the heart to start again for many months.

Because my concentration is limited I particularly want bite size short videos to summarise the basics.

Here is a list of short videos I found but would really appreciate any other / better contributions.

I looked through some of the personality type test websites and started one of the tests but ran out of energy and cant remember which sites I preferred.

Can anyone recommend the best links?

I have been dreading trudging through them all again.

List of short personality type videos.

Personality Traits, Personality Types Overview ( 3 minutes) (4 basic types)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UYpx6973kY&feature=related

1.Personality Traits, Personality Types Choleric ( 4 minutes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF9HcvM8T24&feature=related

2. Personality Traits, Personality Types Sanguine (5 minutes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9SNUvNThM&feature=related

3. Personality Traits, Personality Types Phlegmatic (4 minutes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAwcLZp1KY&feature=related

4. Personality Traits, Personality Types Melancholy (6 minutes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7KAlNIm6q8

I chose this one because it explains and lists the benefits of understanding personality types. (he gives details of a course he sells at the end but I am not recommending or suggesting anyone should spend any money in any way for any reason)
"The Psychology Of Personality Types" - Eben Pagan & Wyatt Woodsmall (10 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gIwxTv5Zbk

maddietod

Try http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp. This test is a reasonable length, both in terms of doing it and because it has enough questions to give a meaningful result. 72 yes/no questions. After taking it, you click on your type. On the next screen look on the right, and click on the set of letters that has a colored circle marking it. That's your type again. Do this one more time to get to a description of your your exact combination.

pebble

Have you read the Sufi stories of Nasruddin? My favorite is one where he's come home late and more than a little tipsy, finds he's dropped his keys, and he's looking for them under a lamppost. His neighbor comes and hunts with him, and after they've searched for ages the neighbor asks if he's sure he dropped them here. Nasruddin says no, he dropped them 'over there'. But there's no light over there, so he's looking under the lamp.

Hi madietodd,

:D I love it. :D I burst out laughing. Thank you. :D

Thank you I will definitely Google Nasruddin and I have saved the test page to my favorites.
:D

pebble

:D Did anyone else enjoy the programme The Big personality test presented by Robert Winston last year? :D

At the core of the Big Personality Test are the Big Five personality traits a widely recognised means of describing the different aspects of human personality.

These traits are:

Openness,
Conscientiousness,
Extroversion,
Agreeableness, and
Neuroticism.

While many of these terms may seem familiar, the way they are used to describe personality traits can differ significantly from their regular usage:

? Openness indicates how willing we are to explore new ideas and ways of doing things.

? Conscientiousness indicates how well we plan and exhibit self-control.

? Extroversion indicates our desire for stimulation.

? Agreeableness indicates how easily we get along with others.

? Neuroticism indicates how we deal with negative emotions such as stress and anxiety.

Everyone exhibits these five traits to a greater or lesser degree, which allows psychologists to build up a sort of personality fingerprint that can be used as a point of comparison between individuals. (To discover your own personality fingerprint, take the Big Personality Test.)

The programme is no longer available but I think a free booklet is still available on the website.

What has the Big Personality Test already discovered?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/labuk/results/personality/

maddietod

I just did the big personality test, and a lot of the questions were there for research purposes, not for personality profiling. This made it unnecessarily long. Then the results seemed very mainstream and superficial to me. AND, after I'd answered that I'm not in a relationship, having divorced after 20+ years of marriage, I was forced to answer a long list of questions about how I relate with my partner! I expect that lowered my "agreeable" score, because I had to be neutral about everything.

I think we should keep looking for tests that fit people like us.

pebble

Madietodd,

Thank you so much.

I have been really interested in personality types for a few years but I keep dipping in and out.

I would read lots of information and because of the CFS my concentration is so limited and information keeps falling out of my head I would get frustrated and take a break from it and by the time I came back to it I had forgotten so much it felt like starting over again.

It was so exhausting and frustrating.

The test link you sent me was so much better and easier.

I am so embarrassed to admit that yours is the first personality test I have managed to finish.

I have started so many, so many times but I found them so frustrating because of the CFS.

I feel CFS/ME changes our personality more than other disabilities.

My answers are so different to what they would have been before CFS.

The first three questions of your test triggered my usual reaction but then it got much easier.

(1. You are almost never late for your appointments.)

I have been housebound for months but even before that although I hate being late, I would misjudge time because I still expected to be able to function as I did before CFS.

(2. You like to be engaged in an active and fast paced job.)

Again so frustrating because I would but my body simply cant.

(3. You enjoy having a wide circle of acquaintances.)

Again so frustrating because I would / used to but my body can no longer deal with the stress.

I am so thrilled I finally completed one after so many years of trying, thank you.

I found an old hardcopy file. Id forgotten that I had printed off some pages from Personality Pathways.

http://www.personalitypathways.com/

I kept giving up because I found it quite confusing and frustrating.

Your link was so much better and easier.

I wish Id found it years ago. Thank you.

I will try the Myers Briggs test also but Ive used up my energy for today.

There was too much of a gap between who I was and the reality of who I am now.

I kept hitting a barrier I couldnt pass, thanks for giving me the nudge and the link I needed.

:victory: I am so pleased. Thank you. :balloons:

maddietod

I thought I only posted one link? That's a myers-briggs test. You got 4 letters, right? (I'm INFJ).

To me, personality tests are fun; they're like a game. There are SO MANY aspects to personality! When I look at myself, I don't need a test to tell me that I'm a friendly introvert! So there was a period in my life where I'd do tests with friends, or later, with my kids, and we'd compare results. The value was maybe more in the conversations that ensued than in the actual results. Getting to know each other better.

I hope you find some other tests you like!

Merry

Hi madietodd,
Yes, I loved a story I read many years ago about a man whos son found a horse then fell off the horse etc. And his neighbours kept telling him he was lucky or unlucky and he kept saying (something).

Pebble, I love this sentence. Every time I read it, I laugh. It is a perfect story just as it is.

Here's a link to an earlier discussion on personality types. I haven't read much of the thread, but maybe you will find something useful in it:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...S-patients&highlight=klutzo+personality+types

I have been ill so long -- since adolescence -- that I wonder who I might have been without the illness. What is my "true" personality?

But I have very little knowledge of the subject to contribute to this thread. Best of luck in your quest. Have fun.