The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Jody, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    This is the Pumpkin Layette I knitted for my daughter Sarah's baby-to-be.
    TheBabe-hat-scarf-sweater.jpg

TheBabe-hat-scarf-sweater.jpg pumpkin-sweater-sarah.jpg pumpkin-hat-sarah.jpg TheBabe-blanket.jpg

Nielk, Tammy, PennyIA and 5 others like this.
  2. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Looks like I posted one of the photos twice. I'd do it over again but I already did that twice:) and I'm not ready to go through that again.:)

3. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    I didn't say I painted well. :rofl:;):rofl:

I'm glad to hear the unraveling wasn't a sad thing for you! As a child, I spent many evenings winding balls of yarn with my mother as she reclaimed unused projects - funny how I disliked it then, but it's a fond memory now!

PennyIA likes this.
  4. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    I didn't say I knitted well, either.:)

And that was definitely not the last time I've unravelled a project. Did some last night as a matter of fact.:) One of the great things about knitting is it's so forgiving. If you mess up a sewing project you might have to get more fabric or live with one sleeve shorter than the other. But with knitting, you just rip out the offending stitches and do it again ... as many times as it takes.

AndyPandy and SDSue like this.
  5. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    After seeing your pumpkin layette, I beg to differ!

Little Bluestem likes this.
  6. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Well, thanks. I have ended up with some pretty strange looking things on occasion. And I just rip out the stitches and start over.:)

SDSue likes this.
  7. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Here are a couple of pictures of the shawl I made for Sarah. It's not a true chakra shawl since I ran out of dark blue and used some navy instead. The colours in the photos aren't quite right. The colour under the red section is actually orange but it looks a funny pink here. And the green looks almost navy in that light.

I'm happy with it anyway.:)

jody and chakra shawl-phoenixrising.jpg jody and chakra shawl-PR.jpg

Nielk, liverock, Tammy and 4 others like this.
  8. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Jody...great article! sounds exactly like what I have been through. I too, took up knitting and crocheting for a while. You should try selling on etsy...I love some of the leg warmers/boot socks they have, as well as the fingerless gloves and gorgeous scarves - so many possibilities.

I was so slow with the knitting, that i preferred sewing. I would make baby dresses and send them to people online with babies...this became an obsession and now i have a large chest full of baby themed cotton fabric I no longer use lol.

These hobbies saved my life...distracted me at a time when the agony was unbearable. Also, they gave me something to look forward to when there was nothing but despair. After so many years of being unproductive, it felt good to make something!

xoxo

Little Bluestem and SDSue like this.
  9. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    It really is a BIG positive to feel like you accomplished something - isn't it? I too find that it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something when there is a such a big list of what I can't do... I love being able to 'do' something.

When I can't do much - knitting a super-simple hat is my go-to project. All my family has more hats than they need... so now I make them for charity.

Little Bluestem and Jody like this.
  10. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

That's an awesome shawl. Something like that would take me a year to knit lol

The baby clothes are ADORABLE!! I LOVE the color choices

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  11. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

here are a few things i made ..very easy stuff...followed patterns
    aprom 001.JPG apron.JPG

002.JPG curtains2 001.JPG

12. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Daffodil,

I wish I could sew. Maybe some day, but for now I'm just not good at it.

I'd be interested in selling on etsy. Anything I should know?

13. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks Daffodil.:)

14. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
  15. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I used to sew, esp. when my kids were younger. I made my daughter a couple of the original American Girl dresses, e.g. But now I don't have the energy to even cut anything out, and I make too many mistakes. Really hoping I can do it again sometime.

Jody and SDSue like this.
  16. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Such lovely things!
    I, too, used to sew quite a bit, and made a few American Girl dresses! Those were the days. I miss sewing dearly.

The last things I sewed were quilts for my daughters. Looking back, I was sooooo sick - I would work on a quilt for a bit, making many mistakes and becoming so dizzy I would vomit, then end up in bed a few days before trying again. I had NO idea just how sick I was or how much sicker I would become. But I am thankful that if I had to have final projects, they were something lasting for my children.

I hope someday we are all sewing like crazy again, in between our many other delightful endeavors!

Jody, rosie26 and Daffodil like this.
  17. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    I've never been very good at sewing (me and straight lines have never been in the same place). But part of what I like about knitting is that if I mess up completely, it's pretty easy to rip everything out and start all over... as opposed to sewing, once fabric is cut it can't become uncut.

18. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    We don't need need to talk about those things . . . or we can decide the fabric worked better as a quilt or doll clothes.

Jody, Little Bluestem and PennyIA like this.
  19. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
  20. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Hi Irene. Thanks! I never got to have kids and I adore babies, so I think that's why I was so drawn to making baby clothes...kind of sad really lol ..I ended up making a ton of stuff but don't have any pictures. You can always make blankets now and save them for when your daughter has babies!

PennyIA likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.