1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

King's College: Understanding Attention difficulties in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Taken from a post yesterday on mecfsforums:

EDIT: Apparently I can't repost the content of this post. I have been informed it was made by a member of said forum in the 'member's only area'. Anyway, you can read it in full on the link above. So I have removed it. Hope what remains is alright Patricia.

I did the survey to see what it was all about - words don't tend to evoke any feelings in me whatsoever so my answers were reflective of this.

The contact us revealed:
    I guess the 'research' is happening whether we like it or not, so perhaps it isn't such a bad idea to complete this survey and help ensure a more reflective contribution.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France
    attention and concentration difficulties???

Here's the first page of her "research" which turns to be not that much about cognitive disfunction....
    upload_2014-7-9_8-44-6.png
    MeSci and Purple like this.
  3. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Part of her research. I am not in any way defending it. But it is 'out there' and unless we contribute then the results will perhaps reveal things that are unreflective. Or don't complete it. I don't personally care very much.
    Valentijn likes this.
  4. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France
    I'm afraid with such questions (the whole questionnaire is of that kind) any things revealed will be unreflective...
    This whole thing is probably of no importance, but once again, they are treating us like dumbs, talking of "understanding attention difficulties", when thay yet "know" the answer: our undriven emotions and maladaptive thougts are leading us to develop CFS.

Another example:
    upload_2014-7-9_9-0-53.png
    MeSci likes this.
  5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    What is the difference between 'Not at all distressing' and 'Neutral'? :confused:
    xchocoholic, MeSci and Tito like this.
  6. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    All my answers were neutral if it helps. I don't feel emotional/have feelings about words and their use particularly one way or another. I guess 'not distressing' would mean you definitely don't find the word emotional.

To be honest I glossed over much of it - my brain refused to try and interpret the meaning...
  7. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    And this helps in "understanding more about the attention and concentration difficulties that many people report" in what way?

Rhetoric question. Maybe I should ask Alicia directly?

ETA - Rhetoric(al) question - now that pisses me off!
  8. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Well we have only what she said above to go on. I presume she wants to identify words - one way or another - before she embarks on the main project... or something. Yeah contact her. Might be useful :) Might not.

How many people here react when 'fatigue' gets plastered all over the press? Gods know what she'll do with the results Marco: and they ain't spillin' no beans.
    MeSci likes this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Garbage in, garbage out. The idea that negative thoughts cause CFS is garbage, therefore the "study" will be garbage. They are not trying to understand anything, they're trying to collect data to support their pseudoscience and continue their charlatan careers.

No patient should work with these people.
  10. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

they want to find out if the word "infection" triggers a cortisol release in you so that they can blame your health problems on cortisol overproduction caused by your anxious thoughts... beware..

i don't think this has anything to do with attention difficulties rather than how you react emotionally to certain words which is the cornerstorne of CBT: Challenges in life are not the problem, how your mind reacts to them is and how your mind reacts to them is influenced by your cognition and your atttude.

They believe because you cannot cope or you overreact you make yourself ill by producing too much cortisol which then causes attention problems and cognitive impairment.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/innovation/groups/projects/cfs/patients/causes.aspx

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/innovation/groups/projects/cfs/patients/physiology.aspx#cortisol

[satire]Why is she still ill? With connections to the best CBT therapists and the King's college should be well in no time.

Or maybe the availability of cognitive and behavioural therapies is actually correlated with worsening of symptoms? Just ask Karina Hansen.
    [satire]
    xchocoholic, MeSci, Helen and 5 others like this.
  11. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    Could be although if it was a simple matter of identifying key words relating to attention and concentration difficulties then why not frame the questions in terms of how they affect daily functioning rather than how 'emotive' or 'relevant'?

I suspect there may not be any more to it than what's collected from this questionnaire.
    Valentijn and Firestormm like this.
  12. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I feel sorry for her sister. Assuming the sister with ME/CFS actually exists.
    xchocoholic, SDSue, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  13. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I have wondered how many of these stories are made up by the psychoquacks just to come across as trustworthy. There is a paternalistic attitude in psychology and psychiatry where it is considered perfectly acceptable, even good, to manipulate patients with lies just to get them to do treatment because the treatment is seen as perfect, and patients are seen as little children that are unable to make good decisions by themselves.
    Min, xchocoholic, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  14. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

One of the two makes you less guilty than the other.
    SDSue and Little Bluestem like this.
  15. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

KCL make a lot of claims without so much as a single reference to back them up.

Most of the CFS stuff is more unproven assumption/ideology/speculation than researched fact.

Here is at least one reference for them to examine for all their positive psychology in cancer care:

"Positive psychology in cancer care: bad science, exaggerated claims, and unproven medicine."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/20146038/
    MeSci, Little Bluestem, ahmo and 6 others like this.
  16. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

17. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    So then. I take you lot wont be completing the survey? :D
  18. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

No way. Anything patients say will be misused.
    Min, TigerLilea, jimells and 3 others like this.
  19. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It would only serve to perpetuate the pile of shit that is the BPS model. Patients should unite to boycott it, and educate other patients to do the same. It only continues to exist because patients are desperate, naive, or get tricked into it. The BPS model deliberately uses misinformation so it's easy to mistake it for a useful approach. For example, on the CFS site of King's College, the words CBT and GET don't appear anywhere, or here in this "study" which looks a lot like they're not trying to understand attention difficulties but trying to demonstrate that CFS patients react negatively to certain words, which will undoubted be presented as causative factor. And in the case the data doesn't support the conclusion, they will torture it until it confesses.
    Countrygirl, Min, xchocoholic and 7 others like this.
  20. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

The way the survey is structured hints that they already know what they are looking for and are fishing for correlations.

A pile of Freud? The BPS was created by someone who was trained in psychoanalysis.
    Min, ukxmrv and Wildcat like this.

See more popular forum discussions.