1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Killing Enteroviruses in Shellfish

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Never Give Up, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up

I read where Dr. Chia says that enteroviruses can be found in shellfish, any idea how to make sure that they are dead before you eat the shellfish?
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Cook them thoroughly. Raw seafood of any kind is a problem. Many parasites will be killed by pickling in lime juice, but I wouldn't risk that with a virus.

Most seafood has parasites. Not all can infect humans however. Its better to cook seafood. Places where eating raw fish is customary often has a high population of people with parasites. Lime juice is a traditional way of dealing with this, but I am unsure that the acid is sufficient. Heat permeates through any well cooked food. Viruses are vulnerable to heat.
  3. Never Give Up

Never Give Up

How then do we define cooking them thoroughly?
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Use a food thermometer if in doubt. I am not sure the recommended temperature for seafood though, you might need to run a search. Most seafood however changes colour and consistency when cooked.
  5. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Little Bluestem likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.