• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ketotifen and IBS

I have read some of the forum threads on ketotifen and how it is potentially a useful tool in leaky gut, visceral hypersensitivity, etc.

Browsing around the net I seem to find people talking about using it for IBS D, but what about IBS C or people tending towards slower GI motility?

Does ketotifen have any negative affects on gastric acid secretion, motility, etc?

I tried this. I have IBC and slower motility. I tried 2 days in a row and had increased brain fog and tirednes. I would have carried on but I had something important to do the next day and needed as much strength as I could so I stopped. I then tried again, it gave me another day of brain fog. I stopped.

I later on read someone here say that the tiredness decreases if you keep at it more 3 days in a row. I don't know.

The one thing that is for certain, I did not feel any harm in my digestion and stomach.
It is an old style anti allergy medication and those usually hurt my digestive system but this did not. So I can believe that it could have helped if I had the will power to stay on it longer. I am saving it for when I get more desperate with the IBS-C.