• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

KEFIR GRAINS-In need of...

Misfit Toy

Twice someone has recommended me trying kefir for my gut issues and constipation. I have always had yeast problems. I am currently on VFEND, a yeast medicine. Probiotics don't work for me; the kind in pill form. I take probiotics and have now for 10 years. Expensive ones and they do NOTHING.

I am allergic to milk and goats milk. I can make kefir with a nut milk or coconut milk. Can anyone help me to find kefir grains to do this? I live in the USA. East Coast.

I really want to get this yeast under control as well as the gut. Any help or whereabouts for finding grains would be helpful.

jenbooks

Kefir--Wayne

PM Wayne. He might still have extra to send you.

Twice someone has recommended me trying kefir for my gut issues and constipation. I have always had yeast problems. I am currently on VFEND, a yeast medicine. Probiotics don't work for me; the kind in pill form. I take probiotics and have now for 10 years. Expensive ones and they do NOTHING.

I am allergic to milk and goats milk. I can make kefir with a nut milk or coconut milk. Can anyone help me to find kefir grains to do this? I live in the USA. East Coast.

I really want to get this yeast under control as well as the gut. Any help or whereabouts for finding grains would be helpful.

topaz

You can also make water kefir ("Milk kefir grains can be ordered from a few online commercial sources, while water kefir starter grains usually have to be obtained from other water kefir users. Water kefir grains multiply rapidly, enabling users to want to give many away, while milk kefir grains do not multiply as much even though they can be used over and over.")

I am not in your neck of the woods and wayne will hopefully have some for you, in the meantime you could also try here:

"Here are some resources for getting grains. Most people give you the grains for the cost of shipping.
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kefir...) , Join this group, post stating where you are and ask.

(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kefir...)

Both quotes from here http://www.naturalnews.com/022822.html#ixzz1QnsW2T00

Misfit Toy

Hi Wayne, my inbox has been emptied. Have not been able to look at all of the links posted. Quite unwell from this yeast protocol on top of a migraine.

maddietod

I emailed 3 people through the link Drew posted, hoping to find the grains close to home. None have responded. It's possible that the list includes very old listings; there are no dates on it.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
If anyone in the UK would like some water Kefir grains I have some, I would love to swop for some milk grains if anyone has them ideally but if not will just buy some more, I lose them when I get too ill to care for them as I'm sure a lot of people do, I did freeze them successfully too, but lost those as well:(

Misfit Toy

Ok, so I have not heard from Wayne, which it could be because it's a holiday, but can you buy kefir grains? Perhaps that way I can just get them.

Misfit Toy

I found some people who got in touch with me regarding the grains. It seems you have to make only milk kefir with milk grains. This whole thing is too confusing for me. I am not supposed to have milk.

Misfit Toy

I went out and bought a bottle of lactose free kefir. Did someone say that they had symptoms from kefir. I feel like I am. Please, if you have had symptoms...let me know!

Thanks.

MonkeyMan

I'd like to make a recommendation to anyone who is thinking of making homemade kefir. I tried it, and it is a royal pain in the neck if you're using kefir grains. You have to strain the resulting mixture, and even then it is runny and lumpy. Not good. However, there is a much easier way: just buy a quart of kefir at the store, pour about half a gallon of organic milk into a glass jar, add about 3/4 of a cup of the kefir, shake, and let it sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Presto!! Delicious, creamy, smooth, homemade kefir!!!! After that you'll never have to buy more of the stuff at the store, just milk (which is considerably cheaper).

Drew