• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kefir For ME/CFS?- Study suggests promising results

Hysterical Woman

Water kefir (kefir d'aqua) and coconut kefir are both made with water-kefir grains, which are different from milk-kefir grains.
They have an opaque texture in comparison to traditional milk kefir-grains of Caucasus. The grains are firm, transparent and fragile; they easily break apart with little applied force. Water-kefir grains are not gel-like or slimy in consistency to milk kefir-grains nor are they white in colour.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the education re water kefir. What do you think of their effectiveness compared to milk-kefir grains? Just beginning to get into the kefir world.

HW

Misfit Toy

I have been on the kefir and although I am finally having nice stools. I am sick from it...I think. My intestine is throbbing.

zoe.a.m.

Finally found a kefir that is non-dairy! I can't even tolerate goat's milk. It is a (minimally) processed product though... SO Delicious Coconut Milk Kefir. It is unbelievably tasty and I've had no unpleasant effects at all.

Brenda: Where can you get young coconut milk? Sounds like some interesting fermenting plans you've got! I'm trying to make a beet kvass but haven't found a whey I can use.

Only downside I can see at all with this particular product is the price and how addictive it could be--this stuff is really delicious!

brenda

Hi zoe

You will have to google it as I don`t know who supplies in the US but there will be plenty of sources. I have ordered some cartons of young organic coconut milk but I could get some non organic young coconuts at Asian suppliers. I got some milk grains before I read that you can use special grains for coconut milk kefir. So I am all ready, that is if that grains I have got will work. They had better as the guy charged me a fortune for them!

Sunday

My understanding is that you can also use milk-kefir grains to make kefir out of nut and soy milks. I'm not sure if that works for coconut milk. You can read about it here.