• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kefir For ME/CFS?- Study suggests promising results

xlynx

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the link thats great, have found someone who will do it.

The instructions on the dried grains say I can only use them for 6 batches. Do you think I can use them for more?

Many thanks

K

_Kim_

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the link thats great, have found someone who will do it.

The instructions on the dried grains say I can only use them for 6 batches. Do you think I can use them for more?

Many thanks

Oh, I see. You don't have dried grains in your possession then. You have freeze dried kefir starter. Dried (or dehydrated) kefir grains are one way to ship them when the destination may take longer than a week. They are reconstituted in milk, but it takes a few batches to get them growing and producing a quality product. Kefir starter, on the other hand, won't ever make real kefir. You can read about the difference here.

That's great that you had luck finding someone to share their kefir grains with you. There are several of us who make kefir here, so if you have any problems or questions, don't hesitate to ask.

xlynx

Hi Kim,

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I had a feeling I didnt have the real thing.

Do I have to be concerned over whoI get it from? Is it possible for the Kefir to be contaminated with other harmful bacteria that I dont need in my gut?

Thank you

K

_Kim_

Do I have to be concerned over whoI get it from? Is it possible for the Kefir to be contaminated with other harmful bacteria that I dont need in my gut?

Thank you

I wouldn't worry so much about contamination - but not everyone who has tried Kefir on this forum has had a positive response. (Those comments might be this thread?). The grains that you get won't have the same proportions of yeasts and bacteria that my grains have. The growing conditions in your house vs. my house will influence things. Generally, smaller quantities of milk in warmer environments tend to make the yeasts in the grains more active. You'll notice this as more of a fermented odor when you uncap the jar as well as more bubbles throughout. Also, what you feed the grains (type of milk) will change their growth habits...

But I would advise just getting started with the process and see how it goes for you. You'll be able to tell if it is beneficial or not. Over a short amount of time, the grains will adapt to how you care for them and become unique just like you. :)

Sunday

Kim, I'd be very curious to know what benefits you feel you're getting from the kefir and from eating the kefir grains (I know you said you're eating them because you're taking antibiotics, but wondered if there were any other noticeable results besides renewed flora). I've just spent a bunch of time over at Dom's site, and am looking forward to getting my kefir grains from kat. I've been a drinker of commercial kefir off and on - the best brand I've had is Helios (which as it turns out does have at least one of the yeasts and some other cultures not found in most commercial preps). I liked the taste and its effects, but am very curious to experience the difference between that and real, traditional kefir

K

_Kim_

Kim, I'd be very curious to know what benefits you feel you're getting from the kefir and from eating the kefir grains (I know you said you're eating them because you're taking antibiotics, but wondered if there were any other noticeable results besides renewed flora). I've just spent a bunch of time over at Dom's site, and am looking forward to getting my kefir grains from kat. I've been a drinker of commercial kefir off and on - the best brand I've had is Helios (which as it turns out does have at least one of the yeasts and some other cultures not found in most commercial preps). I liked the taste and its effects, but am very curious to experience the difference between that and real, traditional kefir

Sunday, the taste and texture of real kefir is very different from Helios (or Lifeway) commercial kefir. Real kefir is not as thick as the commercial products, but if you refrigerate the jar-full before decanting, it does get thicker. I like a thicker kefir, so I've been adding a spoonful of Chia seeds to my morning batches (after decanting, of course). 5-10 minutes and the Chia seeds thicken it up, while adding extra fiber and Omega3 to my breakfast.

Like so many things, the effects of Kefir were most noticable when I got so busy last Spring with school and work that I stopped drinking Kefir everyday and instead, only drank it 2-3 times per week. My old friend, Hypoglycemia, came back to haunt me with great fluctuations in my blood sugar and night sweats. I also was unable to digest carbohydrates hardly at all. Carbs gave me a big bloated belly, constipation and stinky gas (sorry TMI). My blood pressure and cholesterol levels went up. And then, my virals symptoms started to resurface.

Resuming my daily kefir has not corrected all of my problems, thus my presence here in the forums. It did help with hypoglycemia and carb tolerance, but the viral (and micoplasma) symptoms are still a big problem.

I believe that multiple factors contributed to my relapse, not just the reduction in kefir consumption. Vaccines (Hep B and flu shots), not enough rest, slacking off from my strict low-carb + kefir diet, and possibly the end of my decades-worth indulgence in mj (it is a strong EBV inhibitor).

Dom confirms:

A study on the effects of kefiran in laboratory rats showed kefiran can significantly suppress increased blood pressure and also reduce serum cholesterol levels in SHRSP/Hos rats, when subjects consumed excessive dietary cholesterol. The study also explains kefiran supplementation had the ability to significantly lower blood glucose in KKAy mice. In addition, the administration of kefiran in constipated SD rats caused an obvious improvement in the levels of faecal moisture content and wet weight of faeces.[SIZE=-1][8][/SIZE] The latter is obviously useful for correcting constipation.

Other research found that kefir stimulated body cells to produce 14 times more Interferon-beta, a vital glycoprotein excreted by body cells to combat viral infection, and possibly combat cancer cells. The active substance in kefir in this case, which other fermented milk contain, was found to be sphingomyelin [SpM].[SIZE=-1][8b][/SIZE] However, interferon-beta stimulation by SpM in other culture milk-products including yogurt only i.ncreased body cell to secrete 2 to 3 times more than normal activity.
I was curious about Russian claims for kefir and found this amusing quote from one website:

It is worth mentioning that positive influence of kefir on gastrointestinal tract is incomparable with other dairy products. Besides the above mentioned positive influence of kefir on human organism, it also has immunopotentional facilities, has a positive influence on people who suffer from chronic tire as it has а sedative effect on neuropsychic sphere. <---- I have no idea what this means

• Kefir contains high quality protein so much necessary for children in the period of their active growth.Besides kefir is an unchangeable source of calcium for children.
  • Kefir is an easy way of acceptance of calcium to human organism.
  • Kefir is a full source of vitamin B necessary for the normal functioning of childrens nerve system.

K

_Kim_

lol kim, the way Cheney changes his mind he might add that to his protocol soon and we can all have some fun!

Perhaps xlynx. Someone here told me that he's now recommending dark chocolate. I can't think of a better therapy combo. mj + chocolate!! All right, I'm going back into the closet with my mj disclosure. Shhhhh on that everyone, okay??

Sunday

Well, I'll come right out in the open and say I wouldn't have slept for the last two years without my mj preparations! (It's legal in my state with a scrip, which I've got.) It's also helped with the nausea, takes the edge off nerve-pain, and really helps my attitude. Now I find that it also helps you resist EBV; my question to you, Kim, is why did you quit? I don't use it during the day except sometimes when I'm really crashy and can't think anyway, then it's a break from nausea and helps me get my mind off the discouragement track. But mainly, it's the only sleeping aid I've used that's reliable, doesn't make me groggy in the mornings, and doesn't do my liver harm from regular use - not to mention being a great spiritual ally. (I know I wouldn't have slept otherwise because occasionally I try going without to see where I am. Where I am = sleepless.)

OK, we were talking about other active substances, here. (Although, come to think of it, maybe Dom's instructions about digesting/extracting herbs via kefir could apply...) I was interested to read the anti-viral and other health effects you got from his site; I was so overwhelmed by the info there I totally missed it. Annemarie Colbin, who writes about healing with food, says that dairy products have a tendency to make us feel nurtured and calm. I'm wondering of the Russian reference to the "neuropsychic sphere" is their way of saying the same thing, although of course kefir has other properties which may make it even more effective in that way, such as calcium in available form, and the ability to lower blood glucose. Dunno. Interesting to speculate.

Sunday

By the way, I'm already using dark chocolate. Ahead of my time, or retro? You decide.

K

_Kim_

Well, I'll come right out in the open and say I wouldn't have slept for the last two years without my mj preparations! (It's legal in my state with a scrip, which I've got.) It's also helped with the nausea, takes the edge off nerve-pain, and really helps my attitude. Now I find that it also helps you resist EBV; my question to you, Kim, is why did you quit? I don't use it during the day except sometimes when I'm really crashy and can't think anyway, then it's a break from nausea and helps me get my mind off the discouragement track. But mainly, it's the only sleeping aid I've used that's reliable, doesn't make me groggy in the mornings, and doesn't do my liver harm from regular use - not to mention being a great spiritual ally. (I know I wouldn't have slept otherwise because occasionally I try going without to see where I am. Where I am = sleepless.)

Sunday, I hadn't looked at this thread in some time. Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for being so forthcoming. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has found medicinal value in the sacred herb. I agree with you - I sleep great with it.

So why did I quit? I went back to school full-time and found that it didn't mix well with Calculus :(.

Sunday

Oh dear. I foundered on calculus many years ago in my early days. I get it. Too bad I didn't know about ginkgo and vinpocetine then!

I'm impressed at your going back to school full-time, esp. with the DD.

Don't worry about delayed response - we all do them. And anyway, I kind of took this thread off track.

Hello I suffer with severe dysbiosis, and my GI hurts (knawing, burning, rumbilng ,nausea, IBS constpation/diahrrea) all the time. This is one of my major symptoms. I have read about kefir for many years and would like to try some live grains to help reestablish the good bacteria in hopes my symptoms might improve. If anybody has some grains to spare I would appreicate you sending them to me. I will be happy to pay the shipping costs. Please email me albellenfant@yahoo.com. Thanks I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Al

valia

Hi albellenfant, where are you?

I know where to get some in UK, and there is a couple of people here (US) that have said they have grains to spare

Sunday

Valia may have already found you some, but if you're in the U.S., I can send you kefir grains. I PMed you; if you don't know what PMs are about, check the upper right screen after you sign in and look for "notifications". I think kefir is a really good idea, at least for many of us.

Advocate

I am interested in trying live grain kefir for my GI problem as I could not find it in the health food stores .If somebody can send me some, I will be more than happy to pay the shipping costs. Thank you.

Hi SaraM,

I have plenty to give away. Mine is from Russia, and I've kept it going for about three years. Send me a Private Message, and we can work it out.

HopingSince88

Advocate,
Do you have enough for me too? Or send when you have enough to share? I am happy to send funds for shipping. I will PM you.
TIA
Hoping

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Hi albellenfant, where are you?

I know where to get some in UK, and there is a couple of people here (US) that have said they have grains to spare

Valia I would be grateful for any info on where I could get some Kefir grains here in the UK. I have tried the sachets but understand they are not as good as the grains.