May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Keeping zombie ideas about personality and health awalkin’: A teaching example"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://blogs.plos.org/mindthebrain/...-personality-health-awalkin-teaching-example/

(Not about ME )

Excerpts:
    And...

WillowJ, ahmo, Cheshire and 3 others like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Its not about ME, but its very relevant to even our forms of psychobabble aka BPS CBT/GET things. Indeed, nearly all psychiatry is like this. Invented categories.

We, as in humans, seem to feel or convince ourselves we are in control if we have a label for something, even if we do not understand it.

What disturbs me the most are unwarranted and dangerous changes to meaning of terms that can catch the unwary. Normal that is not normal, recovery that is not recovery, pacing that is not pacing, ME that is not ME, CFS that is not CFS, gold standard research that is not gold standard ... and all that from just one research program.

mango, Sean, Wildcat and 3 others like this.
  3. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    Indeed. The parallels with the way ME has been treated by the BPS school is why I posted it.

In particular:

That these sorts of theories snowball as "accepted wisdom", even without sufficient evidence for the initial claim.
    Eg - the recommendation that Oxford criteria be retired ...but still endorsing research based on it

The disinterest in actual health outcomes
    eg - no improvement in ANY objective outcome measures in PACE, and every patient survey reporting harms, yet trial is declared a "success"

And on and on and on...

The rest of the article is definitely worth a read.

WillowJ and ahmo like this.
  4. SOC

SOC Senior Member

Wasn't there some nasty person (Stalin?) who said something to the effect that if you keep proclaiming a lie long enough and loud enough it will be accepted as truth?

ahmo, Snookum96 and Kyla like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Actually I think that is a Nazi propaganda reference, attributed to Goebbels. However he said something like that in relation to the British, and the way British government lied.

Nevertheless it was Machiavelli who said something like the truth does not matter but what people perceive to be the truth does. I am not sure this was in the Prince, it might have been in his The Republic, but its been a very long time since I read either.

See more popular forum discussions.