Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

KDM Tests

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by yabeeb, May 13, 2014.

1. yabeeb

yabeeb

Hi. This has probably been posted before so forgive me if it has. I am strongly considering a visit to KDM since learning of him on this site. My question is whether to get all possible tests done if I can afford to or whether to prioritise based on my budget. For example I was reading a debate somewhere that the test for XMRA (or was it V?!) is a bit of a nicety.

I am clueless around all this stuff and can't be doing with trawling through thousands of threads so quicker just to ask!

2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I would not get too much testing as the chance of getting the tests that he would order for you individually, is small. You might well waste your money. Most of the tests he would order are from specialty labs (except things like a complete CBC which you could get beforehand) so your doctor would probably not even be able to order them.

XMRV is dead in the water! No one tests for it anymore.

Best,
    Sushi

Valentijn likes this.
  3. yabeeb

yabeeb

Cool thanks @Sushi. But would you recommend getting all the tests KDM performs done, or is it not really optional anyway?

4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    He doesn't do the same tests for every patient--they are tailored to each individual. After a consult with a patient, reviewing their medical history and often performing a physical exam, he will recommend the tests he thinks are needed to clarify the clinical picture. A nurse will go over his suggestions with the patient and help prioritize them.

You are free to say no to any that you feel you can't afford, but he will be looking for certain things in each individual so most of us follow his testing recommendations.

Best,
    Sushi

Bessie likes this.
  5. yabeeb

yabeeb

Right - that makes sense. Thanks for asking my plethora of questions Sushi. Have a feeling there'll be a few more!!

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    @yabeeb - After testing based on symptoms and such, I came up weakly positive for Lyme. So he ordered a few more tests for some of the common co-infections transmitted by the same ticks. Though maybe he would have ordered those in the first batch of tests, if he'd known I'd been bitten dozens of times 20 years ago :p

SOC and Sushi like this.

See more popular forum discussions.