• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

KDM - success of fixing the gut

Banana94

Thanks. Thinktank and banana94
Cutting out all carbs is not possible for me. I have severe adrenal fatique.
Cortisol very low. 2 (range 6 to 12)
If i cut out carbs i crash and get more insomnia.
Even have to eat before bed or else i can't sleep.
Maybe i have to eat a little bit less protein for the ammonia and more vegetables.
Think also that diet is better to solve it.
Just found out i have fructose malabsorption and high igg for eggwhites.
If i cut that out it will probably get better.
First I was on a high carb normal fat low/no protein diet and my ammonia was high. It went down by going on a low carb diet with more proteins than before. I would also try fixing or supporting your adrenal fatigue.. Maybe there are other members on this forum which know better how to fix it than me. Pregnenolone, DHEA etc etc.

ljimbo423

Be nice if were possible to get the lps test. You had it done?

I have never had testing for LPS done although I did have testing done that found I had SEVERE dysbiosis.

I wonder how big a part the ivig played in the recovery and what exactly it was treating.

I think IVIG helps to balance the immune system and might reduce inflammation. Chronic low grade inflammation is a primary cause of leaky gut and dysbiosis is a major cause of chronic low grade inflammation in the gut and leaky gut.

I think she had a IGG deficiency and that's why they gave her IVIG.

How does getting a virus or having a car accident or other seemingly unrelated trigger fit with the gut being the cause and why are their so few remissions from treating the gut?

Stress from a viral infection, a car accident, excessive exercise, etc. I think, can be the tipping point for people that already have dysbiosis and leaky gut.

The infection, accident or stressor, is enough to worsen the dysbiosis and leaky gut they already have, enough to cause CFS. This paper might be helpful. It explains how stress causes or worsens a leaky gut-

Stress Induces Endotoxemia and Low-Grade Inflammation by Increasing Barrier Permeability

Maybe the treatment is too hard for many to follow.

Yes, it is very difficult and takes a lot of commitment. My biggest problem was convincing myself that the gut was the core issue, so that I would be willing to put the time and the effort in to treating it.

I have tried many times to treat dysbiosis and leaky gut in the last 10 years but it never helped much at all because I didn't know enough about how to successfully treat it and I wasn't fully committed to it.

Until about 8 months ago, when I took 25 days of Rifaximin, a very low carb diet, almost 0 starches and started taking antibiotic herbs for dysbiosis every day, as well as glutamine and colostrum to heal a leaky gut. Colostrum is high in immunoglobulins (IGG) to help heal a leaky gut.

I am still doing all of these things, except I have added small amounts of rice and potatoes back into my diet.

8 months later my energy has about doubled or more, my flu-like symptoms that were almost constant are very mild to non-existent now. My overall quality of life has improved dramatically and continues to.

Is fruit allowed on the leaky gut diet?

Certain fruits are allowed on the Specific carbohydrate diet which is the one I follow.

Jim

knackers323

Cd14 is directly related with LPS, Maureen Hanson confirmed that recently.

KDM does a IGg test for food. That test gives you some foods you can’t eat at all, some foods to rotate.
He also tests lactose and fructose malabsorbtion. I also did some elimination testing with histamine and fructose with the dietician.

The leaky gut diet described in the paper is low carb, no gluten, no milk products.

@unicorn7 thanks. i was looking at testing from cyrexlabs that covers zonulin and LPS but it seems the CD14 test is enough? to your knowledge is it a reliable test on its own for LPS and leaky gut?

out of interest, is the LPS test a standard test that most labs do? ive not heard of it being offered before

msf

@knackers323 - You might want to take a look at this. A 13 yo girl with cfs when into complete remission by treating leaky gut.

EDIT- They consistently monitored the levels of LPS entering her bloodstream from a leaky gut. Her recovery went hand in hand with her LPS blood levels dropping!

-case-report-leaky-gut.pdf

Jim

That was really interesting. I think that was as close to a theory of ME as anyone has produced (of those that are based on some sort of evidence and reasoning).

knackers323

how many of us have been tested for LPS in the blood? is it a test thats easy to get? i hadnt heard of it unti recently.

maybe it would be a good diagnostic test for cfs or does it show up in other conditions also?

msf

Re: the topic, I have improved a lot under KDM's treatment, to the point where I have just completed the first half of an MA. Some of these improvements coincided with improvements in particular measurements of dysbiosis/leaky gut. Recently, my dysbiosis got worse again, but the improvement s in my physical functioning have remained, probably because of the treatment I had last year for the underlying Yersinia infection, which was obviously part of the dysbiosis/leaky gut equation (my CD14 levels normalised after treatment). So, if I had to guess, I would say I still have a messed up gut, but that my gut is much less leaky now, and therefore the effect of the dysbiosis on my condition has decreased.

knackers323

did you have gut symptoms from the yersinia and how bad was your cd14 count?

looks as though it might be worth doing.

i was looking at some other tests but it looks as though cd14 might be a good enough indication on its own

msf

Yes, and I only had the CD14 tested when I'd already improved quite a lot, but it was 3300 then, and halved after the Yersinia treatment.