1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

KDM food allergy tests

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Spinney Lainey, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Spinney Lainey

Spinney Lainey Senior Member

London
    I've got an appointment in May with KDM and am wondering about whether it's worth having the food allergy tests, as I'm pretty sure I don't have any fully blown allergies - more likely to be intolerances. Do you think the test would work for intolerances as well?
  2. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    When I went originally I thought my gut wasn't too bad. Later discovered my gut was a mess. The test I almost declined was food allergy/intollerance one but it was really good. Many of us have intollerances and I think that's what the test is mainly used for.
  3. Spinney Lainey

London
    @snowathlete Ah, ok. Sounds good then coz my gut is definitely a big mess! I'm also wondering if we have these intolerances, would we always have them, or would they go away once we sort our guts out? Also, just out of interest, what issues did KDM find for you and how have they been treated/have you improved much?
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It just tests for intolerances, not properly defined allergies. Though non-allergy intolerances can (and do in my case) cause definite immune responses.
  5. Spinney Lainey

London
    Perfect! Because I'm pretty sure I have some major intolerances going on but not allergies.
    Valentijn likes this.
  6. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Hi Spinney, when is your apt? I am going In May as well - 12th/13th.
  7. Spinney Lainey

London
    Hi Justy, what a shame - mine's 7/8th May, so looks like I'll miss you :(
  8. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    shame, was hoping to meet someone from PR there - anyone else going?
    Good luck with your apt!
  9. Spinney Lainey

London
    Yeah, would love to meet others there, too! Have you been before, @justy ?
  10. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    My understanding is that the intollerances stem from the dysfunction of the immune system in the gut. Fix that and the intollerances should resolve.

I was found to have Bartonella and Borrelia. I've been on abx and various other stuff since May last year. But I got ulcerative colitis in September which has got out of control so I am on steroids for that now and I am going to have to stop/pause the abx and all that to see if it helps my gut, as obviously abx are not kind to your gut and may be hindering my ability to get better from the colitis. So not so lucky for me really.
    Valentijn likes this.
  11. Spinney Lainey

London
    @snowathlete - don't antibiotics kill off all the 'good bacteria' anyway? Many practitioners believe antiobiotics can contribute to ME.
  12. Spinney Lainey

London
    Isn't it a bit ironic then, that these are used as treatment? Sushi said that KDM generally used narrow spectrum abx. Is tbat what you were taking?
  13. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Yes, abx that are effective against Bartonella and Borrelia. Of course, any time you take such abx you have to weight up the risks and benefits because the same thing that may help tackle one problem, may cause others.
    Valentijn likes this.
  14. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    He uses narrow spectrum abx for gut infections but these won't work for Borrelia and Bartonella unfortunately. The issue of the gut when treating these intracellular infection is why he often gives abx by IV. But this is not possible in many countries.

Sushi
    Valentijn and Spinney Lainey like this.
  15. Spinney Lainey

London
    What does this mean, exactly?
  16. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Not sure what you mean either! :D

The abx KDM uses for gut infections work only in the gut and are very narrow spectrum--they do not affect other parts of the body and, for me, have never bothered the gut itself.

But these abx (like xifaxin) are not suitable for intracellular infections like Borellia and Bartonella. The abx that kill these infections can be hard on the gut. Therefore, he often gives them by IV instead of orally to avoid gut problems. But in many places, doctors are not willing to administer them by IV, so patients have to take them orally and are more apt to get gut problems.

In the UK it would be hard to find a doc willing to give these abx by IV, so some patients have rented a place in Brussels to get the abx by IV there.

Best,
    Sushi
    Spinney Lainey and Valentijn like this.
  17. Spinney Lainey

London
    Thanks @Sushi that explains it! I didn't know what IV meant - I was thinking of the roman numeral for 4!! :rofl:
    Sushi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.