• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

KDM food allergy tests

Spinney Lainey

I've got an appointment in May with KDM and am wondering about whether it's worth having the food allergy tests, as I'm pretty sure I don't have any fully blown allergies - more likely to be intolerances. Do you think the test would work for intolerances as well?

snowathlete

When I went originally I thought my gut wasn't too bad. Later discovered my gut was a mess. The test I almost declined was food allergy/intollerance one but it was really good. Many of us have intollerances and I think that's what the test is mainly used for.

Spinney Lainey

@snowathlete Ah, ok. Sounds good then coz my gut is definitely a big mess! I'm also wondering if we have these intolerances, would we always have them, or would they go away once we sort our guts out? Also, just out of interest, what issues did KDM find for you and how have they been treated/have you improved much?

I've got an appointment in May with KDM and am wondering about whether it's worth having the food allergy tests, as I'm pretty sure I don't have any fully blown allergies - more likely to be intolerances. Do you think the test would work for intolerances as well?
It just tests for intolerances, not properly defined allergies. Though non-allergy intolerances can (and do in my case) cause definite immune responses.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Spinney, when is your apt? I am going In May as well - 12th/13th.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
shame, was hoping to meet someone from PR there - anyone else going?
Good luck with your apt!

snowathlete

@snowathlete Ah, ok. Sounds good then coz my gut is definitely a big mess! I'm also wondering if we have these intolerances, would we always have them, or would they go away once we sort our guts out? Also, just out of interest, what issues did KDM find for you and how have they been treated/have you improved much?

My understanding is that the intollerances stem from the dysfunction of the immune system in the gut. Fix that and the intollerances should resolve.

I was found to have Bartonella and Borrelia. I've been on abx and various other stuff since May last year. But I got ulcerative colitis in September which has got out of control so I am on steroids for that now and I am going to have to stop/pause the abx and all that to see if it helps my gut, as obviously abx are not kind to your gut and may be hindering my ability to get better from the colitis. So not so lucky for me really.

snowathlete

Isn't it a bit ironic then, that these are used as treatment? Sushi said that KDM generally used narrow spectrum abx. Is tbat what you were taking?

Yes, abx that are effective against Bartonella and Borrelia. Of course, any time you take such abx you have to weight up the risks and benefits because the same thing that may help tackle one problem, may cause others.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Isn't it a bit ironic then, that these are used as treatment? Sushi said that KDM generally used narrow spectrum abx. Is tbat what you were taking?

He uses narrow spectrum abx for gut infections but these won't work for Borrelia and Bartonella unfortunately. The issue of the gut when treating these intracellular infection is why he often gives abx by IV. But this is not possible in many countries.

Sushi

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Sushi said:
The issue of the gut when treating these intracellular infection is why he often gives abx by IV.

What does this mean, exactly?

Not sure what you mean either! :D

The abx KDM uses for gut infections work only in the gut and are very narrow spectrum--they do not affect other parts of the body and, for me, have never bothered the gut itself.

But these abx (like xifaxin) are not suitable for intracellular infections like Borellia and Bartonella. The abx that kill these infections can be hard on the gut. Therefore, he often gives them by IV instead of orally to avoid gut problems. But in many places, doctors are not willing to administer them by IV, so patients have to take them orally and are more apt to get gut problems.

In the UK it would be hard to find a doc willing to give these abx by IV, so some patients have rented a place in Brussels to get the abx by IV there.

Best,
Sushi