1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Kathleen Light - New Fibro; ME/CFS Review?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Marco, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    I can't tell of this is a new review or not. Its stated as accepted for publication in July 2011 but copyright is 2012 plus its not in the library.

A very interesting paper which discusses the overlap and differences between Fibromylagia and 'CFS'?

Genetics and Gene Expression Involving Stress and Distress Pathways in Fibromyalgia with and without Comorbid Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/prt/2012/427869/

2. Lynne B

Lynne B Senior Member

sydney, australia
    Thank you, Marco,

The Kathleen Light paper looks really interesting and I've printed it off to read more carefully. I hope in the meantime someone more knowledgeable than I can give us a simple summary of the paper and its implications.

cheers, Lynne

3. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Did Light et al use Reeves/CDC-2005 criteria in all their CFS studies?

Interesting indeed. However ...

The "Reeves criteria" has been heavily criticized for sensitivity and specificity issues, but I guess it can no longer be said that "only the CDC use it". It is just the Fukuda criteria with additional screening tools but somehow inflates the prevalence estimates 5-10 fold, allows CFS disability to be wholly emotional, conflates with depression, used in all the CDC's recent personality and childhood abuse research, etc. Light et al's discussion of methodological issues seems focused on depression and employing additional types of stress testing.

They mention that in their larger more recent study, 30/48 (63%) of CFS patients were on antidepressants, which seems unusually high, although 11/49 (23%) of people in their "healthy" control group were on antidepressants for clinical depression and it does not seem to be a factor in the results. However, I still think it is important to also include stress anxiety disorder controls in such research, but overlap in mechanisms wouldn't necessarily mean CFS is a stress-anxiety-induced disorder as both conditions could just have similar downstream effects from the body being under stress due to different factors. Also, CFS may involve an actual rise in metabolites, not just increased sensitivity to them which may be dismissed by some as the biological correlates of psycho>somatic perception? I think in some of their papers they have discussed actual rises in metabolites too.

[EDIT: Thanks oceanblue for pointing out Dolphin's post on one of these studies (Gene expression alterations at baseline and following moderate exercise in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia) where 46/48 (~96%) of the CFS patients also met Canadian criteria. That eases my concerns, but I would still like to see stress/anxiety controls!]

According to 23andMe I have the COMT Val(158)Met SNP in question so perhaps low-dose propranolol would be useful. As post-exertional symptoms are one of my worse symptom categories and limits me substantially, I hope more research is being done into possible treatments, assuming that such treatment does not have negative consequences elsewhere (the gene expression may be an indication of the body's attempt to force a reduction of activity for a good reason that is not negated by merely intervening with receptor blockade).

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    I'm not sure if they mean either the 1994 or 2005 definitions, or whether patients meet both (most likely)?

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Criteria

I think the reference to Reeves et al., 2005 is an error. Here are the three studies.

One of the writing team might have heard "CDC criteria" were used and looked them up.

Otherwise, I'd say it was more likely Reeves et al., 2003 (people get them confused):
    Reeves et al., 2005 take quite a bit of work with specific questionnaires. Wouldn't get 96% satisfying Canadian criteria without something odd happening.

6. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Thanks for this Marco :thumbsup:

See more popular forum discussions.