Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Karina's independent doctor threatened with suspension of licence

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Just posted on FB

In a letter dated December 22, 2016 the Danish Board of Health has written to Dr.Stig Gerdes (an independent physician helping Karina to get rid step by step of her anti-psychotics):

The "Agency for the Safety of Patients is considering to immediately and temporarily deprive you of your authority as a doctor."

The reasons mentioned are:

Dr.Stig Gerdes has not cooperated with Karina’s unwanted guardian, and he has brought Karina’s dose of medicine down without having consulted about it with the psychiatrist Nils Balle Christensen: the Board therefore believes that Dr.Stig Gerdes ‘may endanger the patient’s safety’!

What does a retired police officer (Karina’s guardian) know of medication? And trying to diminish a medication dosage, not eliminating it, with the result that the patient was visibly better, can not possibly pose a threat to a patient’s safety.

After repeated blood samples Dr.Stig Gerdes has now corrected Karina Hansen's metabolism for which she was receiving no treatment in the Research Clinic where she was incarcerated. During the involuntary hospitalization the psychiatrists stopped all treatment of her metabolic problems, which is an obvious medical neglect.

In another letter to Dr. Gerdes of the same date, there’s this quote: "It is clear from the separately forwarded consultation that your authorization be temporarily be deprived from December 22, 2016 onward that:

You have no access to any information as requested as a doctor of Karina Hansen" (to her files at the Research Clinic)

With thanks to Bente Stenfalk for all the information
    Source: http://bit.ly/2hy0pJX

note: this information is being shared at the request of Dr. Gerdes himself

Roy S, MeSci, MEMum and 16 others like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

My heart goes out to Karina and her family!
    I sincerely hope someone with a reasonable head on their shoulders realizes that a retired police officer knows much less about this disease, about medication tapers etc than a physician!

bspg, MEMum, Invisible Woman and 8 others like this.
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Perhaps the hospital where she was incarcerated wants her kept zonked out enough on drugs that she cannot tell people what happened to her there. I don't know how much of it she would remember, though. They may no longer be able to imprison her body, but still be trying to imprison her mind.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    leela, bspg, MEMum and 4 others like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It's tragic how these people won't let go after their little experiment failed.

leela, bspg, MEMum and 7 others like this.
  5. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

A pattern is starting to develop. One has to wonder why.

leela, bspg, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  6. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    How dreadful for Karina and her family. It must be a nightmare to feel that she may never be free from the influence of those Drs. I do so hope that her wishes will prevail on this

My son was sectioned some 7 years ago. At the time it probably saved his life, so I don't regret that side of things, and he was only in there for around 3 months. However, on coming out, the neglect by the psychiatric side has been awful. He was kept on the same level of psych drugs for 7 years without a review (in the sense that there was no attempt to see if he would be able to reduce them without deteriorating). The long term side effects of these drugs also have life limiting issues on the physical side.

Last year I began to intervene with his permission and to advocate for him on a number of things, including doing an official complaint that he had never had a social care assessment, and as he was neglecting his self care it was long overdue. Letters by me to his psych nurse went unanswered. Eventually I did an official complaint about his Health Trust which was upheld, and since then he has been awarded enough Direct Payments for 28 hours a week of care.

In addition I wrote to his Psych about reducing his meds, and as a result they have been reduced considerably over the past year. I did this mainly because he was sleeping all day and could not be woken. He still sleeps a lot, but now wakes much earlier, and is much brighter mentally.

bspg, MEMum, Binkie4 and 13 others like this.
  7. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

I guess that means that CBT didn't work? Did it ever work for anyone?

leela, MEMum, starlighter and 5 others like this.
  8. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

The pattern is that quacks harm patients.

Patient has contact with quack doctor. Worsens. Patient is given medication from quack doctor. Worsens. Patient away from quack doctor. Improvement. Patient reduces medication from quack. Improves.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  9. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Ego, greed, inhumanity, stupidity...
    in other words too much of the Medical Establishment are really pencil necked, vicious, cowardly, corrupt, arrogant, useless scumbags who torture, abuse, maim and kill patients, an that is PROVEN FACT, see the death tool from iatrogenics in the USA: one of the top 3 causes of deaths is "death by doctor".

*psychiatrist attempts to cure patient by tried and true, approved methods!*

[​IMG]
    :confused::wide-eyed::D

10. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

The problem is in this case, because the patient is not legally held to be able to consent, the guardian consents to treatment for them.
    This means that varying someones medication against the guardians wishes is legally as bad as varying the medication against the patients wishes.

This is generally a good thing - if the guardian is well chosen.

I have not investigated the legal situation in denmark - but having doctors able to simply ignore patients (or their legally appointed representatives) wishes is as bad as being unable to dismiss or have another representative picked.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I wonder if a legal injunction against problem doctors will help? Its a whole different legal forum.

leela and MEMum like this.
  12. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

it is unlikely there is a good 'right' solution that doesn't involve removing the guardian, or replacing them with another.
    Arguing that the person being treated is not in a position to prevent the doctors doing bad things falls at the first hurdle, as they are not the one in control of the treatment, the guardian is, and there is no question (legally) that they are competent.

I assume the position in Denmark is rather similar as the UK - you can remove a guardian for various reasons - you'd have to make out one or more of those, or follow any procedure to get a guardian you approve of picked.
    This may be made dramatically harder if the court agrees with the treatment regimen, and your explicit reason for taking the action challenging the guardian is the treatment regimen.

MEMum likes this.
  13. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

The problem is that neither the family nor the patient consented to having a guardian.

The patient was mentally competent at the time when this decision was made, making the decision illegal.

The patient had been examined by several psychiatrists and doctors and was found to be perfectly sane and thus capable of making decisions.

There was no evidence that the caretakers were irresponsible. One family member is even a nurse.

There was one single lone nutjob psychiatrist with an agenda to promote his own bizarre mind over matter 'research' who diagnosed an exotic and a very controversial mental disorder of which only a few cases have been reported worldwide. The disorder is supposed to occur in children. It has never been described in young adults.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive_refusal_syndrome

Based on his personal fantasies he decided that the patient and the caretakers were not capable of making decisions, an opinion NOT shared by all other doctors involved.

We live in a free society yet certain institutions are allowed to act like we are in a totalitarian dictatorship.

Antipsychotics can sometimes, depending on type and dosage cause brain damage sometimes irreversible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardive_dyskinesia

What about the risk/benefit ratio?

Risk: Brain damage.
    Benefit: Improving a non-existent mental disorder?

So a patient has to suffer medical abuse and possibly chemical brain damage because a single doctor has a questionable theory that has never been shown to be true?

The legal system is failing big time here and the quacks are running the show

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    leela, bspg, Little Bluestem and 14 others like this.
  14. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    "like" is not the button I would like to press, I'm so angry"

leela, Invisible Woman, bspg and 2 others like this.
  15. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

I don't disagree with that.
    In this sort of situation though, challenging the doctors treatment through getting other treatment is almost less important almost than removing the guardian, and the proper legal process needs to be gone through for that, or it all just keeps getting worse.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  16. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    If Karina is on anti psychotics, then in a normal setting for mental illness that medication should be regularly reviewed, and someone should be put on the lowest dose possible for maintenance (not that this happened in my son's case in the UK for 7 years....). Anyway, asking for a review and a reduction in any case would be reasonable.

Obviously it's clear to us that Karina should not be on them at all as she doesn't have a mental illness. Anti psychotics should certainly not be given out willy-nilly to anyone as they are horrible drugs but in some cases with severe mental illness it's the lesser of 2 evils to take them.

MEMum, MeSci, Solstice and 5 others like this.
  17. Countrygirl

UK
    This is yesterday's update posted on FB (I can't link it.)

18. Countrygirl

UK
    http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/6/9/e012743.full.pdf

Be aware that Karina's psychiatrist is involved with the above and that he is in the UK advising on the roll out of psychiatric therapies in every surgery for people with ME, fibro and other diseases defined as MUS or BDS etc. It is already active in some areas of the country and surgeries which originally accepted ME as a physical illness are now directing patients to mental health services.

We need to watch this harmful development very carefully

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    bspg, Gday, SamanthaJ and 10 others like this.
  19. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Huge update on the Justice for Karina Hansen Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForKarinaHansen/)
    Original post - https://www.facebook.com/notes/just...on-dr-gerdes-loss-of-license/1351861468208640

MEMum, ahmo, Valentijn and 10 others like this.
  20. Countrygirl

UK
    Just appalling!

When you think of the shocking medical abuse this poor young woman and her family have suffered while we have pseudo medics responsible for promoting this abuse whimpering about alleged death threats. Just pathetic!

If I recall correctly Prof Peter White had a hand in condoning the abuse of Karina and her family. He certainly visited her when she was imprisoned. Shame on him and his ilk!

bspg, MEMum, ahmo and 11 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.