Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Karina.......some good news at last.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Some good news at last about Karina. A civil rights' movement has finally found a lawyer to fight for her freedom. A number of lawyers have been approached, but after a detailed study of the case, they have all declined until now to take it on.

2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Do you know the address of her blog about Karina?

3. Johannawj

Johannawj

4. Countrygirl

UK
  5. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Mel9 and mango like this.
  6. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    facebooked.

Mel9 likes this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

There's a weblink too for donations (Save4Children), offers visa, paypal, etc: https://www.geef.nl/donatiemodule/taal:en/doel:save4children

It is in Valerie Elliott Smith's article:
    Save4Children is collecting donations for the legal fund. Although the page does not specifically mention Karina, I am assured that all donations made via that link will go towards her case.

Mel9 and Countrygirl like this.
  8. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    I had to dig to try to find a recent Karina Hansen thread... Is it possible to use the new results from the re-analysis of the data from PACE trial to help her? I sure hope that as she's degraded this far they aren't still pushing her... but if we can help prove that their treatment is based on the faulty study, maybe that will help with getting her case reviewed and get custody back to her parents????

Izola, Mel9, leela and 3 others like this.
  9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I'm not as familiar with the case as some others. But as I understand it, Karina's "treatment" is not predicated on any of the findings from PACE. So I'm not sure we can use it in this way. Karina has been diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder (somatic symptom disorder).

The basic idea underlying her "treatment" is similar to the PACE model of CFS - basically faulty thoughts perceptions and behaviours that needs correcting through reeducation and retraining. But the connection is conceptual, not direct. And PACE only made claims about mild to moderate cases in the first place, so any attempt to base her treatment on that would be incorrect anyway.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Mel9, Valentijn and worldbackwards like this.
  10. Countrygirl

UK
    I have a dim memory of reading that Prof Peter White visited Karina to advise her doctors how to treat her, however. In theory, the discrediting of PACE should give them pause to reconsider the validity of the advice of one of the authors.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  11. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Agreed. My understanding is (right or wrong, because you are correct, she was severely ill) that her treatment is very much based on the fact that PACE showed that increasing effort and CBT to correct faulty illness beliefs was treatable.

And, if I understand the latest news, her health situation only worsened while she was under the treatment for her somatic symptom disorder to the point where she is no longer able to communicate at all.

Given that her case was severe, folks were already attempting to discredit the treatment she was receiving as being experimental with no case studies proving it works (because PACE only tested mild to moderately ill patients).

I was hoping that we can start a fresh campaign that her current treatment is inhumane as a result of the fact that the only large study of it's kind is going to be discredited and proved that it doesn't help the patients.

Woolie, Mel9, Little Bluestem and 4 others like this.
  12. Countrygirl

UK
    From Bente Stenfalk
    Three Wednesdays in a row Karina's parents have been able to pay Karina a visit.

It was a friendly physiotherapist who let them in the first time.

And since then Karina has nodded YES to see her parents when the staff have asked her if she wanted to see them.

Karina can nod and shake her head and in that way indicate that she understands questions.

The visits cannot be very long for Karina gets tired very quickly.

Karina is pushed around outside in a wheelchair by the staff, and she can walk a very short distances with a walker.

Karina's phone has resurfaced, and the physiotherapist helped to exchange phone numbers with the parents, but Karina does not speak.

I close this thread for questions, the parents do not want further debate about visits online right now, but they would like to share this good news about visits with you. We follow up when there is any news.

13. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I'm so glad to see this.

And why on earth would anyone not immediately involved in the situation think they had anything to say about visits? :rolleyes: Makes me glad, once again, that I am not on Facebook.

14. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Excellent news, this is real progress, I hope she will soon be allowed home to be with her family and they are given the help they need to look after her at home.

15. mango

mango Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.