1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Justina - Anonymous Allegedly Targets Boston Children's Hospital

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Katrina, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Katrina

Katrina

Central California Coast
    Valentijn and ggingues like this.
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    A hacking attack seems a useless way to express an opinion.

3. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Yes, I saw this recently. I feel sorry for the hospital. LOL

GG

4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    They've been involved in other justice-oriented vigilante efforts lately, which have gotten a lot of coverage. For example, they pretty much brought the Steubenville rape investigation back to life and into the public eye by getting their hands on and publishing some recordings, etc: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...-rape-targeted-anonymous-video_n_2398479.html

A DDOS attack is certainly a controversial tactic, but it tends to draw a lot of attention to an issue when there is an actual issue to draw attention to. Part of the problem is that Anonymous isn't a particularly well-defined group of people - some purported members are probably willing to engage in attacks for petty and selfish reasons. But using it as a means to help achieve social justice is a different issue entirely.

5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    An update states that someone using a “leading Twitter handle used by Anonymous” said they don’t support the attach.

I wish someone would hack into the Childrens' Hospital website and change it the read Childrens' Dungeon and Torture Chamber.

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I'd prefer hackers getting their hands on useful non-personal information which various people and orginizations want to hide from the public. A DDOS attack lacks any constructive purpose, beyond getting attention to an issue.

Snowdrop and alex3619 like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    When acting as whistle-blowers, even hackers can serve a social good. Exposing corruption, cover-ups and dangerous practices are all public good. However if a hospital has its services impeded, even though some actions of that hospital are reprehensible, it risks harm to people. That is always a bad thing.

Its like release of unedited confidential material that names names. If this is released en masse without individually vetting each and every document then innocent or good people can be hurt. That is not a service to anyone save special interests.

Exposing wrong-doing can lead to change, and improve things. Hurting people creates resentment, resistance, and increased counter-actions. Its not worth it even for a good cause. Informing the public of evil, immoral, reprehensible or criminal activity will generate support. Being the criminals, causing harm to innocents, does not. When I write harm, I also mean risk of harm.

WillowJ, Snowdrop and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.