• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Justina - Anonymous Allegedly Targets Boston Children's Hospital

A hacking attack seems a useless way to express an opinion.
They've been involved in other justice-oriented vigilante efforts lately, which have gotten a lot of coverage. For example, they pretty much brought the Steubenville rape investigation back to life and into the public eye by getting their hands on and publishing some recordings, etc: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...-rape-targeted-anonymous-video_n_2398479.html

A DDOS attack is certainly a controversial tactic, but it tends to draw a lot of attention to an issue when there is an actual issue to draw attention to. Part of the problem is that Anonymous isn't a particularly well-defined group of people - some purported members are probably willing to engage in attacks for petty and selfish reasons. But using it as a means to help achieve social justice is a different issue entirely.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
An update states that someone using a “leading Twitter handle used by Anonymous” said they don’t support the attach.

I wish someone would hack into the Childrens' Hospital website and change it the read Childrens' Dungeon and Torture Chamber.

I wish someone would hack into the Childrens' Hospital website and change it the read Childrens' Dungeon and Torture Chamber.
I'd prefer hackers getting their hands on useful non-personal information which various people and orginizations want to hide from the public. A DDOS attack lacks any constructive purpose, beyond getting attention to an issue.

alex3619

When acting as whistle-blowers, even hackers can serve a social good. Exposing corruption, cover-ups and dangerous practices are all public good. However if a hospital has its services impeded, even though some actions of that hospital are reprehensible, it risks harm to people. That is always a bad thing.

Its like release of unedited confidential material that names names. If this is released en masse without individually vetting each and every document then innocent or good people can be hurt. That is not a service to anyone save special interests.

Exposing wrong-doing can lead to change, and improve things. Hurting people creates resentment, resistance, and increased counter-actions. Its not worth it even for a good cause. Informing the public of evil, immoral, reprehensible or criminal activity will generate support. Being the criminals, causing harm to innocents, does not. When I write harm, I also mean risk of harm.