Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Just wondering why MCAS is so common in certain conditions?

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Hope78, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Hope78

Hope78

Germany
    Hi! I spend a lot of time reading in mast cell support groups (facebook and so on) and I rarely met a person who does not have something like:

- fibro
    - cfs
    - mcs
    - eds
    - autism

The mast cell activation seems so extremley common in these folks. I don't think mast cell activation is the main reason for these symptoms in most of the people, I think it's the other way around and so many faulty metabolism pathways lead to the development of mcad.
    But I am always wondering about the "common denominator" of the mcad. Is it low adrenal function? Immune dysregulation? Dysregulation of the nervous system...?
    What are your thoughts about it?

2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Mastcells just doing their job.

3. Hope78

Hope78

Germany
    How do you mean that?

4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Respomse to a threat

5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

When functioning normally Mast cells don't respond at all to things that are innocuous/benign. I think this is what the OP is getting at. It is not just doing their job when they respond to the benign.

6. Hope78

Hope78

Germany
    Yes, that was what I thought, too. I can only eat 10-15 things in small amounts due to mastcell overreactions. That's not normal or healthy at all.

lemonworld likes this.
  7. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

But when there is no test for a pathogen one can not be sure it is benign.

8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Well, if you are responding with a reaction to something almost everyone else does not then I think you can categorise that as generally benign.

Hope78 likes this.
  9. Ravn

Ravn

I've been puzzling about this, too. There seems to be little doubt that there is some sort of connection between mast cell disorders and ME. In fact I recently stumbled across a study (that I've lost now) that found certain mast cells more activated in ME patients than in healthy controls.

The real question then is what exactly that connection is. I've come across 3 lines of thought:

1. ME (or a subtype of ME) is a form of MCAD.
    2. Some part of the ME disease process irritates mast cells and causes them to be overactive.
    3. ME and MCAD are separate conditions but have a common trigger.

The distinction is important. In case of option 1, succesful treatment for MCAD should help also ME. In the other two cases, treatment for MCAD would only help MCAD symptoms but do nothing for ME.
    Personally I'm tending towards option 2 but that's just a gut feeling.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  10. chilove

chilove

Limbic system injury (due to trauma, chronic infections, toxin exposure, TBI, etc...) could be the cause of most of those including MCAS. The limbic retraining folks (Annie Hopper and Gupta) claim success in treating mast cell issues as well as many of those other disorders. The theory is that nervous system dysfunction from a limbic injury creates immune dysregulation as well as endocrine and digestive system issues which can cause all types of problems.

I've been using limbic retraining and it does help mast cell reactions a lot. Last night I stopped a developing reaction using progressive relaxation and the limbic retraining steps.

11. chilove

chilove

12. chilove

chilove

See more popular forum discussions.