Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Just saw a dermatologist who knew about dysautonomia!

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by Sushi, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Before he entered the examination room I heard him comment that he needed to drink some water cause he was seeing spots when he stood up. Then he added, "I learned that in medical school. :rofl:"

This gave the perfect opening for me when he saw and commented on my medic alert bracelet that says "Dysautonomia." He then then offered and brought me a glass of water, saying he used to be a waiter.:thumbsup:

When he later needed to give a lidocaine injection he knew to give one without epinephrine. Maybe I am lucky but I have met a lot of docs lately who know something about dysautonomia.

Sushi

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    @Sushi sounds like he is in the wrong specialty, probably knows about it because he has it himself.

Did he offer any treatments besides a glass of water for dysautonomia?

3. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Just mentioned electrolytes. If he has dysautonomia problems himself, he didn't mention it. We talked more about cool medic alert bracelets that even the most fashion conscious teenagers wouldn't mind wearing. Then it was all about searching for little nasty things growing on the skin.

Sushi

merylg and heapsreal like this.
  4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    Sushi, that is so great!! It's affirming!

Sushi likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Finally a thread that is actually about dermatology (which is what my brain sees every single time the demonology thread pops up in New Posts)!

Hope you are scary mole free!

Gingergrrl and Sushi like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I actually thought this was the demonology thread for a second, lol.

More and more docs are aware of dysautonomia. I think its reached the point where in a decade most docs will not be clueless. Now we just need that to happen for ME.

Valentijn, Gingergrrl, SDSue and 3 others like this.
  7. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Great idea! May I ask what else is on your bracelet ….. Seems that wearing a dysautonomia medic alert bracelet would elevate this condition to "real" in the eyes of docs in many situations, both emergent and routine.

Glad you found a good doc!

Gingergrrl likes this.
  8. Tired of being sick

Tired of being sick Senior Member

Western PA USA
    Thought you were going to say you were diagnosed with Livedo Riticularis as it is a common skin discoloration disorder seen with POTS or dysautonomia due to lack of blood flow/volume to limbs and head...

9. Sushi

Albuquerque
    It also says "see wallet card," which is a red packet from File of Life (they have that system in Florida where I used to live). In that is a list of all my meds, names of docs with their cards, a printout of what not to do to a dysautonomia patient, and a short description of what it is.

Sushi

SDSue likes this.
  10. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Nope!

Sushi

11. Sushi

Albuquerque
    So, for a sec your brain saw "Just saw a demonologist who knew about dysautonomia"--now that is the kind of doc we might all benefit from. :devil: :rofl:

Sushi

Valentijn, zzz, Gingergrrl and 3 others like this.
  12. JAM

JAM Jill

What is it?

13. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I just copied descriptions of symptoms from POTSplace to provide a paragraph on how it manifests.

Sushi

Gingergrrl likes this.
  14. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Ema that is so funny b/c every time I see the demonology thread in New Posts, I also think it says dermatology!!! Good to know that someone else's brain is working like mine LOL.

@Sushi at some point I am going to look at all the dysautonomia websites that have been recommended to me and it is on my long to do list! So glad you saw a good doctor today!

Sushi likes this.
  15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

More like I saw a bunch of letters, before actually reading the sentence, and my brain autocompleted.

16. JAM

JAM Jill

So a fancy word for POTS? Interesting. Thank you.

17. Sushi

Albuquerque
    POTSplace is the name of the site but it covers all forms of dysautonomia. For me it is Orthostatic Intolerance in the form of Neurally Mediated Hypotension.

Sushi

JAM likes this.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

On one of the recent Stockholm videos they pointed out there are actually people with ME/CFS who have both POTS and NMH. That was a surprise to me.

Sushi likes this.
  19. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Great to hear. We need more doctors aware of dysautonomia.

I'm confused as to why he thinks taking a drink of water will stop him from seeing spots when he stands up tho. Maybe it was electrolyte water ? I've been getting this the last couple of days and I'm drinking plenty of water.

Ideas ? X

20. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    All this time I thought you had POTS. It's like I don't even know you anymore! :lol:

What does a TTT show in NMH?

See more popular forum discussions.