• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just had my first serious allergic reaction

bspg

Plant Queen
I stopped reading when I saw the ingredients list, so perhaps someone has already said this.

Culprit may be mushroom - and/or fungal-derived factors. I see Aspergillopepsin in there, which is derived from black mold. The beta-Glucanase is probably also fungally-derived. Any mold allergies?

Yes, these have been mentioned. I am not aware of any mold allergies.

Tammy

Just a thought. Glutamic acid may be the culprit. You can google Hidden sources of MSG-Truth in Labeling. Looks like natural flavors and protease are on that list.

Gingergrrl

Also, manufacturers can sort of get away with not listing certain ingredients/additives with work arounds.

This is a good point especially in the U.S. I believe in the EU, they truly have to list every ingredient under the law but in the U.S. there are many work arounds in which they might use a certain preservative or "natural flavor/dye" in the processing but do not have to list it. I wish this would change so ALL ingredients would be listed.

Although that shake had so many potential culprits it is hard to know what you reacted to. How are you feeling today @bspg?

bspg

Plant Queen
How are you feeling today @bspg?

I'm much better than yesterday. I got a really bad headache last night and slept terribly but no hives or tachycardia! Thank you for asking @Gingergrrl :)

I'm still not sure what caused the reaction but I suspect (and hope) it is one of the enzymes and not a "regular" food. I had almond milk and a kashi bar today and have been okay so I don't think it's a seed or tree nut that I reacted to. I haven't had any peanut butter, banana, or ketotifen though.

JaimeS

I believe in the EU, they truly have to list every ingredient under the law but in the U.S. there are many work arounds in which they might use a certain preservative or "natural flavor/dye" in the processing but do not have to list it.

Just confirmed that a product has something I'm intolerant to: feel exhausted and breathless after consuming it, three times in a row. Nothing on the ingredients list I'm intolerant to at all. But there's that blasted catch-all, "natural flavors".

Gingergrrl

But there's that blasted catch-all, "natural flavors".

This can be a tricky one because it can mean literally anything. If it says "lime" on the ingredients, then it is actually lime. But if it says "natural lime flavor" then it can be from an insect or a tree bark that happens to taste like lime (because those things are technically natural).

antherder

If anyone thinks enzymes grown on fungus may be a problem for them, please be aware that sometimes they can be used in the manufacture of seemingly harmless foods, like brown rice syrup. (Aspergillus.)

Last edited:

Tammy

This can be a tricky one because it can mean literally anything. If it says "lime" on the ingredients, then it is actually lime. But if it says "natural lime flavor" then it can be from an insect or a tree bark that happens to taste like lime (because those things are technically natural).
Along those same lines...................look for the word "EXTRACT". ie: Vanilla extract is actually from vanilla.