Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Just had my first serious allergic reaction

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by bspg, Aug 4, 2017.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    I stopped reading when I saw the ingredients list, so perhaps someone has already said this.

Culprit may be mushroom - and/or fungal-derived factors. I see Aspergillopepsin in there, which is derived from black mold. The beta-Glucanase is probably also fungally-derived. Any mold allergies?

2. bspg

bspg Plant Queen

USA
    Yes, these have been mentioned. I am not aware of any mold allergies.

JaimeS likes this.
  3. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Just a thought. Glutamic acid may be the culprit. You can google Hidden sources of MSG-Truth in Labeling. Looks like natural flavors and protease are on that list.

Gingergrrl and bspg like this.
  4. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    This is a good point especially in the U.S. I believe in the EU, they truly have to list every ingredient under the law but in the U.S. there are many work arounds in which they might use a certain preservative or "natural flavor/dye" in the processing but do not have to list it. I wish this would change so ALL ingredients would be listed.

Although that shake had so many potential culprits it is hard to know what you reacted to. How are you feeling today @bspg?

JaimeS and bspg like this.
  5. bspg

bspg Plant Queen

USA
    I'm much better than yesterday. I got a really bad headache last night and slept terribly but no hives or tachycardia! Thank you for asking @Gingergrrl :)

I'm still not sure what caused the reaction but I suspect (and hope) it is one of the enzymes and not a "regular" food. I had almond milk and a kashi bar today and have been okay so I don't think it's a seed or tree nut that I reacted to. I haven't had any peanut butter, banana, or ketotifen though.

Sushi, JaimeS and Gingergrrl like this.
  6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Just confirmed that a product has something I'm intolerant to: feel exhausted and breathless after consuming it, three times in a row. Nothing on the ingredients list I'm intolerant to at all. But there's that blasted catch-all, "natural flavors".

bspg and Gingergrrl like this.
  7. bspg

bspg Plant Queen

USA
    While doing a Google search for the protein mix + "allergic reaction", I found another product made by the same company that reportedly gave many people rashes/hives. o_O:wide-eyed::confused:

I didn't find any reports of this on the product I consumed but I'm wondering if there's a connection...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5NEMJM

JaimeS and Gingergrrl like this.
  8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    This can be a tricky one because it can mean literally anything. If it says "lime" on the ingredients, then it is actually lime. But if it says "natural lime flavor" then it can be from an insect or a tree bark that happens to taste like lime (because those things are technically natural).

bspg and JaimeS like this.
  9. bspg

bspg Plant Queen

USA
    Ugh. :(

Gingergrrl and JaimeS like this.
  10. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

If anyone thinks enzymes grown on fungus may be a problem for them, please be aware that sometimes they can be used in the manufacture of seemingly harmless foods, like brown rice syrup. (Aspergillus.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    GreyOwl and bspg like this.
  11. antherder

It's so annoying, that one, isn't it.

Equally annoying is when you ask the seller what these "natural" flavors are, and they can't tell you, but assure you that they are harmless, because they're "natural."

JaimeS, Valentijn, bspg and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Along those same lines...................look for the word "EXTRACT". ie: Vanilla extract is actually from vanilla.

bspg likes this.
  13. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

As we all know, things that are natural are harmless.
    • Bee stings
    • Snake venom
    • Arsenic
    • Nightshade
    • Belladonna
    • Cancer

14. antherder

You forgot tornadoes...

15. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia