A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Just got a prescription for Memantine - anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by hixxy, Aug 5, 2011.

1. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Hello,

I just got a prescription for Memantine to try and control my severe NMDA receptor overactivation. Has anyone tried it? Interested in others experiences....

hixxy

2. Bayly

Bayly

Kentucky
    I tried it when I was having a period of brain/CNS hyperactivity and it gave me too many side effects. I hope you have better luck.

I'm currently having enhanced symptoms and I'm trying to double my dose of Neurontin and trying Celebrex instead of Advil or relying on triptan migraine drug when the total head, neck, and chest constricting feelings become severe.

I also cut my acetyl-L-carnitine back to 500 mg. vs. 1,000 because I added that to my daily regime a few weeks before this flare. As usual, I feel like I'm trying to find a needle in a haystack!

Best wishes for success for both of us!

3. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Have you found Neurontin effective in controlling your CNS hyperactivity?

4. Bayly

Bayly

Kentucky
    I think it helps control it to some degree, but I can't double my usual noon dose of 100 mg because it makes me too sleepy. (I also take 100 mg in a.m. and 100 mg at bedtime.)

5. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Memantine in low doses is gettine a good bit of hype as a good neural house cleaner too by the anti-aging followers.

6. Alesh

Alesh Senior Member

Czech Republic, EU
    Yes I tried memantine in the past without any effect. But perhaps if taken chronically...

See more popular forum discussions.