1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Just found out I have active lyme disease. I am stunned. Help!

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by lizw118, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    My understanding is it's the insurance companies who would rather deny a claim for chronic Lyme than pay for long-term and/or intravenous antibiotics, which can easily run to $100K or more.

Valentijn and xchocoholic like this.
  2. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Not to mention ALL the medical professionals who benefit from misdiagnosed patients. Neurologists, psychologists, gastroenterologists, etc etc. And the labs where the wrong tests are run and re-run.

Drug companies benefit from IBS, neuro and psych meds.

The research centers that always state that more studies need to be done benefit.

Then there's the colleges that charge tuition for educating more medical professionals. And receive grants for research.

It's all about the money. X

3. pspa123

pspa123

So the insurance companies are somehow behind the 2010 Connecticut panel report that was convened by the attorney general in response to a suit brought at the urging of ILADS, heard extensive evidence from all sides including ILADS doctors and numerous patients, and concluded that long-term antibiotic treatment was not warranted and indeed could be risky?

I get that there is scientific disagreement here, but I don't find the conspiracy theories useful in this context.

4. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Since I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for, I'll just mention a book that I believe gives a lot history and answers to a lot of questions. If you decide to read it, hopefully it will provide you with what you're looking for.

Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic
    upload_2014-6-29_9-48-33.jpeg

roxie60 and xchocoholic like this.
  5. pspa123

pspa123

I found a very helpful explanation by Dr. Richard Horowitz, a very strong advocate for chronic Lyme, which would seem a useful screening guideline.

Lyme disease is a multisystemic illness. If you have a cluster of classic presenting symptoms, including fatigue, joint and muscle pain, neuropathic pain (tingling, numbness and burning), sleep disorders, memory and concentration problems, as well as anxiety and/or depression, there is a good possibility that you suffer from a tick-borne disorder. Although these same symptoms can overlap other diseases, there are certain classic symptoms which point towards Lyme. Lyme disease symptoms tend to come and go with good and bad days. The joint and muscle pain as well as the neuropathic pain tend to migrate around the body. These symptoms may improve with antibiotic therapy, or worsen with antibiotics (a Jarish-Herxheimer reaction when the bacteria is being killed off), and women often report an increase in symptoms right before, during, or after their menstrual cycle.

merylg and Wayne like this.
  6. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    (From the linked article below)

"Even with decent health insurance, Lyme disease guarantees most families a financial hardship. Insurance companies can base their coverage on treatment guidelines issued by leading national medical organizations, which restrict access to care. Our daughter’s doctors, myriad medical tests, prescriptions, and supplements run at least several thousand dollars per month, out of pocket."

http://www.today.com/parents/insidious-illness-how-lyme-disease-derailed-teen-her-family-2D79661315

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    My understanding is the medical organization IDSA (Infectious Disease Society of America) is hardly more than a mouthpiece for the insurance companies when it comes to Lyme treatment guidelines. I seem to recall they were on the losing end of a legal battle initiated by the DA of Connecticut regarding their Lyme treatment guidelines. CT is ground zero for Lyme in America.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.