1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Just Discovered a CFS Recovery Story Using Anti-Virals (per Lerner)

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Wayne, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I just ran across a remarkable CFS full recovery story (or remission) and thought I'd post a link: Viral CFS- A Possible Cure - MY STORY. I was struck by her initial paragraphs describing what she believes are the causes of many of the symptoms of CFS, which I thought were spot on (her entire post is much longer):

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    S.A., Little Bluestem, maryb and 4 others like this.
  2. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks for sharing. There is only one thing I don't understand in her story. She said that when taking the famvir she experienced die off from the killing of bacterial infections, yet earlier she said she had no bacterial infections.

It's a general point that I have never known. We know killing bacterial infections will cause die off from the release of dead bacterial toxins, but I have never known whether killing off virus can also cause toxin release and thus an experience of die off for the patient? Any thoughts most appreciated

It does seem a subset do really well with antivirals and particularly if treated early in the illness

3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi Anniekim,

Yes, I also did a double take on killing bacterial infections. Regarding dieoff from viruses, I've read references they can sometimes be extreme. My understanding is that just like bacteria, we can have widely varying amounts of viral populations in our system. I can't say for sure this is the case, but it makes sense to me.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    It's good to hear about significant improvement. However, out of all the patients who try anti-virals seriously, aren't there many who see little improvement? :(

Out of the ones who saw less improvement, I would like to know what other treatments they had tried first. How sick they were. A certain level of health may be needed first.

5. S.A.

S.A.

Missouri
    My son (age 15) is on an antiviral to suppress recurrent shingles. I think his inability to clear viruses from his body is definitely a part of his equation, but taking an antiviral is only a small part, a very small part, of his treatment. He may need to eventually up his dosage, since its barely doing the job, but I'm hoping the methylation protocol will eventually reduce his need for it.

I would think antiviral treatment's ability to help would also depend on each individual's genetic makeup and on which viruses each has accumulated.

Recently I also read research information on serrapeptase breaking down biofilm structures in viruses and bacterial infections. I believe that research is on going, but the researchers were looking into ways to make antibiotics and antiviral s more effective.

Little Bluestem and Wayne like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Viral 'die off' doesn't release toxins because viruses don't really contain such, except for the viral proteins (which are are higher levels when the virus is active). There are still two possible consequences. The first is that antivirals don't just target viruses directly, but also have a variety of immunomodulating effects. The second is that in the absence of the virus, the immune state will shift, which could also result in a change in symptoms.

Wayne, anniekim and maryb like this.
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    bacterial die off from antivirals could be related to the IRIS, as viral load decreases then the immune system can go after bacterial infections. Not sure if thats what its meaning but its possible??

leela, Wayne, anniekim and 1 other person like this.
  8. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

S.A., heapsreal, Wayne and 1 other person like this.
  9. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Thank you for all the very helpful replies to my question. Understand it a lot better now

10. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Daffodil, thanks for posting this link. I thought the original post plus most of the comments were very good. --- @Ema, you might be interested in this as it delves into various thyroid issues.

11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Wow, 6 YEARS on Famvir! That's more than I would have thought for sure...

12. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    its been about 4 years for me now on famvir and abit over a year on valcyte. I think the ones who can stop av's have immune systems that bounce back for others may have to stay on av's to maintain things if they help??

13. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

yea who knows how some do so well on the antivirals. if it is HERV causing this, as Dr. DeMeirleir suggests, maybe the famvir is removing the trigger for HERV (EBV?). there was a study suggesting that several years of acyclovir might actually eliminate EBV from the body.

perhaps for others, the HERV replication has taken on a life of its own and famvir doesnt work..? ?

heapsreal likes this.
  14. RUkiddingME

RUkiddingME Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks for sharing Wayne!!! I'm experiencing remarkable results on Valcyte as well!

See more popular forum discussions.