1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(Junk?) Wessely et al paper talking about revisions of ICD-10, DSM-IV, etc

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

[Sorry, this doesn't have much info. Apologies if this has been highlighted already somewhere or is not that relevant - I can't see the full paper so can't check what is being talked about, nor am I up-to-date enough to make a good guess. But I'm guessing what is said in the paper could be relevant to ME/CFS and/or others with what are sometimes called "medically unexplained illnesses".]

2. xanadu

xanadu

Dolphin, It's about conversion disorder (hysteria), which it distinguishes from somatoform disorders in the first para:

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to post it to the library as I have fewer than 100 posts.

3. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch dxrevisionwatch.com

UK
    It's now in the Library.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Thanks for the full paper.

They want to change the definition from the current situation:
    to:
    This could lead to more people getting the diagnosis, it seems to me.

They also point out:

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Imagine if they diagnosed CFS as a viral illness in this way:

Bookmarked in the hope I'll find the time to read the whole thing in the future. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

One can reply if one wants

One can reply on the journal website if one wants:
    http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/eletter-submit/196/6/427

Probably best to make it look like a letter by putting a reference. An easy one is the article[1] itself! Of course, websites can be put as a reference[2] also.

References:

[1] Kanaan RA, Carson A, Wessely SC, Nicholson TR, Aybek S, David AS. What's so special about conversion disorder? A problem and a proposal for diagnostic classification. Br J Psychiatry. 2010 Jun;196(6):427-8.

[2] www.x.com

See more popular forum discussions.