1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(Junk?) (UK) Consumer demand and NHS services

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Dolphin, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't know if the following is really true or whether it can be used to say patients with ME/CFS don't want GET and CBT based on GET services and so that should not be what is offered?
    -----
    Background:

Somebody sent me this:

Br J Psychiatry. 2002 Dec;181:468-72.
    From passive subjects to equal partners: qualitative review of user involvement in research.
    Trivedi P, Wykes T.
    Full free text:
    http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/181/6/468

I can't say I found it particularly exciting, nor am I recommending people read it.

The quote is from:

How will dissemination occur?
    The dissemination of clinical research findings generally occurs only in peer-reviewed journals and during academic conference presentations. These usually have an impact only on a relatively small number of clinicians who are research-oriented, and the Department of Health and funding bodies have stressed that a much wider dissemination process is necessary. In particular, dissemination to users is essential since, in the new consumer orientation of the UK NHS, it is not only evidence-based, randomised, controlled trials that determine what interventions are introduced into clinical practice, but also consumer demand (Department of Health, 1999).

Reference:
    Department of Health (1999) Patient and Public Involvement in the New NHS.
    London: Department of Health.

---------

See more popular forum discussions.