1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(Junk junk) Factors associated with assessment of UK doctors' professionalism

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

BMJ press release this week.
    Haven't looked at the paper so just a thought off the top of my head: they seem to be saying that psychiatrists unfairly get poor assessments from both patients and colleagues. Another interpretation would be that perhaps psychiatrists deserve the poor assessments e.g. they are sloppy?

2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Blasphemy! Wash your mouth out.

Clearly it is everybody else's fault.
    Min likes this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    So much psychiatry is guess and test (the treatment). Its not surprising that this is held in low regard, there is a distinct lack of hard science. Of course there are reasons for this - the brain is an extermely complicated organ, more complicated than anything else we are studying - and that includes physics. In my opinion the advances will come from the neuroscience, and psychiatry will just be an applied branch of neuroscience in the future. Of course I am project my own neuroscience bias in saying this, as someone who used to be interested in computational models of mind and mental processes.

Personally if I had an issue, and a doctor said "I guess its this" and "lets experiment with doing this" then I would be unhappy with most doctors especially if they pretended to more knowledge than they had. Hmmm, wait a minute, I do ... ME.

Bye, Alex
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    I agree with alex - problem of much psychiatry being guesswork (incorrect conclusions being misapplied historically and currently). But I don't altogether see caution needed in colleague feedback. 4 Docs (various specialities) in my own family and they are very chosey about who they see when needed - some simply more informed and better at their jobs than others. Caution exists - but somehow we don't have to be cautious of their caution ! It's a fact - some Docs are better than others. "Bias" it is not.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

And the race thing...

Maybe non-white patients rate doctors less well... or maybe doctors treat non-white patients less well.

What a weird study.
  6. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Sounds like shrinks are trying to paint themselves as victims. Perhaps they will be filing legislation to receive protected class status, ie it will become illegal to criticize shrinks.
    Min likes this.
  7. Desdinova

Desdinova Senior Member

USA
    Hey? I thought that the psych's made it perfectly clear that everyone was a victim but those with fictitious illness beliefs like ME/CFS who cling to their false beliefs. :rolleyes:
    Min likes this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Maybe psychiatrists would be considered more professional if their practise actually had an underlying scientific model? Just a suggestion.
    Min likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.