The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

'Junk' DNA gives birth to new genes, which pop into existence from nowhere

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Aug 31, 2015.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

A Surprise Source of Life's Code

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The theory behind this is decades old. Evidence in support of it is fairly new. One of the early explanations for why we have so much "junk" DNA is that its part of the material needed for faster, better evolution. However its also fair to say that as we learn more and more of the genome, less and less of it is "junk". Much was simply stuff we did not understand back then.

I would not take this as proven yet, but definitely interesting.

PS The thing about these stretches of DNA is they are often genes from other species, including viruses, as well as duplicated genetic mistakes. So they largely could code for various molecules, and only need a few genetic tweaks to become functional. However since they were "offline" so to speak, they could mutate without killing their carriers. If the mutation was lethal and they came online, that person would likely die long before birth.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015

See more popular forum discussions.