• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Junk) Case study I found in medical education (Texas A&M Health Science Center)

Dolphin

I came across this when searching for something.

http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/learning...ources/docs/tab-z---miscellaneous-needrev.doc

Pediatric Subspecialty Psychiatry page 25 of 57

11. An 18-year-old white female is considered a difficult patient. She is hostile and exceedingly demanding, often requests specific medications, and once asked you to bring her back a souvenir from your vacation. She seems accident-prone and has frequently gotten into minor trouble as a teenager. She has multiple somatic complaints and has been diagnosed as having chronic fatigue syndrome by another physician.

Of the following, the most likely diagnosis is:

A) chronic mononucleosis.
B) dysthymia.
C) depression.
D) borderline personality disorder.
E) antisocial personality disorder.

ANSWER: D

Of the conditions listed, borderline personality disorder is the most likely diagnosis in this patient. One diagnostic hallmark of this disorder is a history of self-destructive behavior, often manifesting itself as accident proneness. The behavior frequently dates to adolescence. These patients may demand prompt solutions to problems and may pressure the physician to prescribe mediation. Complicated or incomplete recovery from organic or functional illness may occur. Patients with borderline personality disorder may consciously or unconsciously invent vague, undiagnosable illnesses, such as chronic viral infection or chronic pain.

Ref: Sansone RA, Sansone LA: Borderline personality disorder: Office diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician 1991; 44 (1): 194-198. 2) American Psychiatric Association, 1994, pp 650-654.

Not saying it's exciting but the answer didn't jump out at me. Just I worry a little ME or CFS diagnoses can easily be missed. In this case, she already had a CFS diagnosis. But I suppose it's only doctor training and one is supposed to look at the most obvious diagnosis that ticks all the boxes.

Tony Mach

Show me the evidence.
"self-destructive behavior, often manifesting itself as accident proneness"

These "doctors" are butchers. Yeah, right, because someone is accident prone, HE/SHE MUST BE DOING IT TO HURT HIMSELF ON PURPOSE !!!!11!!!ONE!!ELVEN!!! If there is one thing I hate it is know-it-all smarty-pants psychiatrists who can explain the world based on shaky interpretation without a hint of fact of disease model or pathological process.

"Complicated or incomplete recovery from organic or functional illness may occur."

They readily take it as "fact" that psychiatric problems supposedly manifest themselves as somatic symptoms but fail to see that organic illnesses do manifest as psychiatric symptoms. Maybe an organic illness is at the root of it all?

Esther12

F: Ehlers Danlos III.

Accident prone due to poor proprioception. Often leads to chronic fatigue and multiple other somatic complaints - pain, gastrointestinal, etc. Commonly misdiagnosed and mistreated by doctors, leading to tense relationships with medical practitioners... probably due to the sort of lazy psychologising of symptoms which is encouraged by tests like these.