1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Junior researchers face a choice: a high or low road to success?" James C. Coyne presentation

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(No references to ME/CFS, but of course rigour and the lack of it in some cases in psychology and psychiatry, is of interest to some of us).

James C. Coyne could be described as a renegade psychology researcher.
    He likes rigour and is willing to challenge instances where it is lacking.
    One example is that he says there is no evidence psychological therapies extend life in Cancer.

Here's his latest blog post:

The slides are probably best looked at after reading the text (or indeed, there is no need to read them, but I found it revision to look through them again).

He goes into more details in other blog posts, so I suppose there is the possibility people might find this presentation unsatisfactory as he covers lots of topics without going into depth in them.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Esther12 likes this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I notice he says the following:

Antoni often works with Nancy Klimas (there are 43 references for "Klimas Antonia", none of which might be other people on a quick look.
    They are currently doing a Cognitive-behavioral stress management intervention study.

Esther12, Valentijn and Sean like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

See that quite a bit in the ME/CFS field e.g. studies that find improvements in subjective measures but no improvement in objective measures still talking about how good the graded activity/exercise model is for the illness.

4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I always assumed they were just idiots who couldn't read. I didn't realize they might be doing it deliberately to get patted on the head by the big boys.

Bob likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.